Big 3: Engine to Chassis or Engine to Battery?

So it seems that this is one of those either or questions and it will work either way, but does it matter whether you ground from engine block to chassis or battery?

In my situation it would be closer for me to mount straight to the battery rather than a chassis ground, should I just do it at the battery then?

Edit: when installing the fuse for the power wire, at what point do I put it in the fuse holder? once the battery and everything is reconnected or before I connect the battery?

I do both which turns into the big 4, in essence you just create a triangle of ground wires and it will take the path of least resistance, but i like to do it this way with older vehicles as the ground straps tend to corrode and break apart. it is even more important on newer vehicles with all the computers they have.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I do both which turns into the big 4, in essence you just create a triangle of ground wires and it will take the path of least resistance, but i like to do it this way with older vehicles as the ground straps tend to corrode and break apart. it is even more important on newer vehicles with all the computers they have.

i dont know if i have enough wire and lugs to do a big 4, so should i just do the engine to battery then?

You can go to the auto parts store and get a 4ga ground long enough to go from the engine to battery or chassis, they really aren't expensive and will atleast cover you for a possibly broken ground strap.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

You can go to the auto parts store and get a 4ga ground long enough to go from the engine to battery or chassis, they really aren't expensive and will atleast cover you for a possibly broken ground strap.

ok i understand that, but which one should i do for right NOW.

Engine, battery, and then chassis will work for the time being, and then you can add the other one a another time.

well i got it all in and it turned out pretty good, i ended up having enough wire and lugs to do the big 4. It also got rid of my alternator whine

Archived