Help getting a buddies build fixed *Update* Unearthed a nightmare

https://www.amazon.com/Driver-Battery-Connect-Recovery-Trailer/dp/B0129EI4C0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468896947&sr=8-1&keywords=8+gauge+quick+connector

These are what I'm looking at right now because I'm set on soldering in the 8AWG.

Now I'm stumped - because the crimpers I've been meaning to buy... the 16ton comes with 6AWG to 4/0AWG dies... and the 10ton comes with 8 to 2/0 dies. It looks like I can't just buy a single 8ga die either.

It definitely seems like I could solder the connectors by pooling though, think this is my best bet? Sorry for being frustrating, trust me, I'll make ya happy whenever I can finally do my own build.

Edit: Turns out he didn't know his HU had aux and USB out, fuck that installer. Unit is coming out now to run all new RCA's and the aforementioned. Will be going back in nice and flush too.

Just fucking kill me guys. Had no idea just how bad the build was. All of this was installed by a 'professional' audio shop, only place in the area, gets STUPID amounts of business.

I got beyond pissed and incredibly sticky working on this mess. In the end I couldn't get the HU back in, lots more work to be done. Previous shop literally jammed shit in with all their might, buddy always wondered why his front dash vent had a bigass hump in it.

Also, paging Mr. Steve Meade. In the most unfortunate of one-ups, take a look at this pro install ground.

IMG_20160721_123945085_HDR_zpstu8g2zq1.j

IMG_20160721_123948531_zpsu3dt1e1g.jpg

IMG_20160721_150620196_HDR_zpshcg54akd.jIMG_20160721_150627172_HDR_zpsorgrbaka.jIMG_20160721_192438131_zpszemi1yzz.jpg

Anybody ever deal with worse? Any tips? I have to pick up a mini butane torch, got the crimper ordered... stocking up on terminals, lugs, some rubber washers..

This thing is a nightmare tho. I honestly didn't take enough pictures of the rest of the wiring, too pissed, too completely covered in melted e-tape

Don't fight it. Rip it all out and start over. It's the only way to know what you have.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Don't fight it. Rip it all out and start over. It's the only way to know what you have.

That's what it's about to come to. We'd planned to go down to the place that installed it and make them fix the shit, but I'd rather just spread the word about how shitty they are. Probably wouldn't help much though since I don't have a true shop to start doing work in.

Do you know anything about the black box? I assumed it was some sort of bypass, there's absolutely no labeling on it. Also - there's actually a very, very poor amount of room in the HU space to begin with, there's some large sealed in factory wiring in the back and around the sides. This is his only ride so I can't really keep it apart for a few days.

Also, thoughts on all of the nutted off wires? My first idea was to get them all straightened out, clip the exposed and pull jacket over (or put heatshrink over, have to see if the jacket is elastic enough to try to pull back) get them all in a line together and put a good braid over them. This is just a though before I honestly looked at what they were, might be able to completely take them out of the adapter. I didn't get to do everything I needed to/wanted because he really didn't want to have to get this deep in the shit and I kinda don't blame him. He's pissed he paid near $1000 for what's $350 worth of parts (and the HU is the bulk of that) I'm pissed for... obvious reasons, haha. All I wanted to do was help a friend out, was not expecting a nightmare.

I wouldn't bother taking it back if you can work on it. They would just "fix" everything the same way they did it the first time. You could break up the work into stages to keep the ride going.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

um...110v household outlets are only good for like 15-20A tops, DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!!1!!!ONE!!

15 to 20 at 110v ac. probably good for 30-40 dc at 12v. but it would be stupid as hell.

I wouldn't bother taking it back if you can work on it. They would just "fix" everything the same way they did it the first time. You could break up the work into stages to keep the ride going.

Well, you're pretty much completely right. However, I want to see how they operate. If they were going to fix it, I'd be right there watching. Like I said, they're the only business around. I live right next to a very large college town with foreigner exchange students who buy $50k cars straight up with cash. This shop gets ALL of the business, so they must be raking in a good amount of money. Especially with the 'quick' jobs they do. Now, with the right tools and space, I can do some pretty quality work. If I go down there and try to be civil with them, maybe I could end up making everything better.

However, I'm probably just way too fucking optimistic and they're going to be a bunch of douchenozzles (my friend used to be acquaintances with them ~3 years back, says they were pretty much dicks) however maybe there are some new people working there. Basically, I want to go straight to there faces and show them their shit. Then ask, "is this really what your professional work looks like?"

If I get a yes on that question, I'll be able to sling verbal shit at these guys all I want. Maybe I'll get it all on video, try to make the people that give them business think otherwise.

um...110v household outlets are only good for like 15-20A tops, DO NOT USE THEM!!!!!!1!!!ONE!!

It can take more than that on 12v, but I've correctly and safely remedied the solution with the nice trailer winch plugs. All is well. I would never even think about doing something like this on anything over 1000w, pretty much no matter what equipment I have at hand.

really, only thing i saw wrong was that ground and the way the wired the switch. Nothing wrong with those little crimp type wire nuts. Anyway, good luck. Give us lots of pics of your work so new members can see how to do it right.

Archived