Second Skin Audio

how big of a factor does the Fs play in a sub ?

Bayuk89

Besides a subs xmax, how big of a factor does a subs Fs play in relation of how low you can tune/play a sub ? I was playing with an app called "ultimate car audio app" from the google play store. I put in my current box size, RMS power and sub T/S parameters. According to the graphs i cant get it to play past 30 hz very well, it starts to fall off the graph... even when i mess with box size, tuning and port area. I plugged in another subs T/S with an Fs of 17 hz and the graph showed the play from 20 hz on up to about 50 hz..... i need some education

This is the best i could do 12 cubes net tuned to 27.5 with 140" of port

My concern is the box would be 4 feet OVER what sundown recommended for these SA-18's (they recommend 4 feet each sub, 8 feet for both) and also im feeding them well over double RMS what they are rated for... so if ur over powering a sub dont you wanna make ur box smaller ? Am i asking too much for these SA-18's ?

tmp_20914-Screenshot_20160830-1712348645

tmp_20914-Screenshot_20160830-171209-991

From what i know the Fs means very little once you put it in a box since the measurement is taken free air. I do think it would be important to set the SSF if tuned far below Sf since you would be unloaded below that.

Dont take my word for it. I'm sure others on here are more versed.

The first set of pics is my current build. Im tuned to 32 and SSF is set 1/2 an octave below that. only issue i have is that i wanna play lower. But just tuning lower according to this app wont put it in the "playable bandwidth"

Yea i just need someone to help me understand. From me playing with this app, using my sub's T/S and power applied, shown on the graph what my goal of having 25hz in my playable bandwidth i would have to build a box to 12 net... i dont know how that will be on my subs...

Sundown said my (2) sa-18's need to be in a 8F^3 box tuned no lower than 30hz with 120" of port area, they said each SA could take 1k of clean power no problem... i just dont think these subs will play well in a 12 cube box (4 feet over what they recommended) on about 3000 watts (additional 1000 watts over recommended)....

If my subs cant/arent designed to play down that low in a playable bandwidth, thats what i need to know.... was looking at stereo integrity DS4 18" last i saw it was on sale for about $220 each. They have 4" coils and Fs of 17hz... they are discontinuing the DS4 and bring back the old HT18....

Archived