Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Subs lacking oomph in pickup. Please evaluate what I'm doing wrong.


hleonard16

Recommended Posts

Posted

Amp gain at 3.5/10 means nothing. You could be overdriving it to death. Find someone with a dd1 to set it up correctly. Sealed drivers and behind the seat will really kill output. You might be expecting too much.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Posted

Amp gain at 3.5/10 means nothing. You could be overdriving it to death. Find someone with a dd1 to set it up correctly. Sealed drivers and behind the seat will really kill output. You might be expecting too much.

I probably am expecting too much, but I am also looking to make the best of my situation. Thanks for the advice I'll go and check the output voltage and set my gains accordingly, test resistance, and test voltage drop at the amps and report back.

Posted

Checking output voltage will not prevent clipping. The dd1 measures distortion. Do a search here for dd1. With it behind the seat it might be harder to hear distortion, especially if it goes straight into protect.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Posted

Checking output voltage will not prevent clipping. The dd1 measures distortion. Do a search here for dd1. With it behind the seat it might be harder to hear distortion, especially if it goes straight into protect.

I know what a ddm is I just don't know any shop or anyone around me (south texas) that uses one. I can't really get my hands on one without ordering one and I don't have the cash for that at the moment. So, I'm working with what I have

Posted

Checking output voltage will not prevent clipping. The dd1 measures distortion. Do a search here for dd1. With it behind the seat it might be harder to hear distortion, especially if it goes straight into protect.

I know what a ddm is I just don't know any shop or anyone around me (south texas) that uses one. I can't really get my hands on one without ordering one and I don't have the cash for that at the moment. So, I'm working with what I have

If you can spare the 60$ here is a link to a small oscilloscope that was recommended to me by some people on here. It will help you accurately set your gains,however its just not as nice as the dd1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRUWPM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

Posted

Clipping and distortion isnt the problem here guys, sure thats bad for the subs, but his amp going into protect means theres a loose conection some where, such has a bad ground, loose fuse box cables, bad fuse, bad connection in battery, maybe a wrong ohm load ... you need to narrow it down, does the amp get hot before protection? Could be a termal issue

Posted

Clipping and distortion isnt the problem here guys, sure thats bad for the subs, but his amp going into protect means theres a loose conection some where, such has a bad ground, loose fuse box cables, bad fuse, bad connection in battery, maybe a wrong ohm load ... you need to narrow it down, does the amp get hot before protection? Could be a termal issue

The amp is warm, which is to be expected running at maximum load/minimum resistance, however I can leave my hand on it and not get scorched. So I don't know if its thermal.

All connections are correct and tight between the power system for the amp and from the amps to the subs

Posted

Clipping and distortion isnt the problem here guys, sure thats bad for the subs, but his amp going into protect means theres a loose conection some where, such has a bad ground, loose fuse box cables, bad fuse, bad connection in battery, maybe a wrong ohm load ... you need to narrow it down, does the amp get hot before protection? Could be a termal issue

His amp can go into protect if its clipping to hell and back.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

Posted

Clipping and distortion isnt the problem here guys, sure thats bad for the subs, but his amp going into protect means theres a loose conection some where, such has a bad ground, loose fuse box cables, bad fuse, bad connection in battery, maybe a wrong ohm load ... you need to narrow it down, does the amp get hot before protection? Could be a termal issue

His amp can go into protect if its clipping to hell and back.

clipping and distortion dont really do notting to an amp, sure it will make it work harder there for heat up and make it a thermal failure/protect.

Posted

Clipping and distortion isnt the problem here guys, sure thats bad for the subs, but his amp going into protect means theres a loose conection some where, such has a bad ground, loose fuse box cables, bad fuse, bad connection in battery, maybe a wrong ohm load ... you need to narrow it down, does the amp get hot before protection? Could be a termal issue

The amp is warm, which is to be expected running at maximum load/minimum resistance, however I can leave my hand on it and not get scorched. So I don't know if its thermal.

All connections are correct and tight between the power system for the amp and from the amps to the subs

hard to say it can go both ways then, do you have a volt meter? check what kind voltage the amp is seeing at the amp, and check the remote wire to see if it getting 12 volts? can you post pictures of your install?

random question, if you start up your system from a cold start and go full tilt on a bass heavy song does it protect immediately or does it take its time to protect?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7227 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...