Second Skin Audio

Port Calculators, How they work?

Aeisuhr

Tring to design a box but spent the last 16 hours straight just today tring to understand box programs and its just not working would almost give somone my email if they can help extensively, as of now i have a box, (literally) 6 sides no holes. 38Wx15Hx19D of 3/4 mdf puts me right at 5ft^3. box is for two 12s. was going to do a aero but would prefer a slot if i can get one that doesnt have to T or L at the back. issue is i just cant figure out how much port area, velocity or legnth i need, would prefer a wider shorter port if possible. 13.5tall by 5-7 wide. and want to keep the net as close to 4ft^3 as possible. somone that knows how to use a good program please chime in.

Recap 5ft^3 gross. total .2ft^3 sub displacement so 4.8 before port displacement, would like to at 2ft^3 per sub

Just a FYI, increase in port area will cause the tuning to increase and the shorter the port the higher the tuning. Also, you don't want to make the port too narrow. 4 ft^3 is on the small side for two twelves but there is no way say for sure without modeling it or having prior experience.

In advance please excuse the laughable crudeness of this but i dont mind doing port on the outside top like this as long as it isnt very high i still have a bit of scrap mdf i could use to do it as long as it shares the rear of the box as part of the port. this would almost be prefered if anyone knows how to do half a port inside and half out like that from the center

http://imgur.com/a/4LbsK

Jx1000/1 @2ohm so 500-600 rms each.

On that amount of power, assuming 4 cu ft net airspace tuned to 32 hz I'd recommend no less than 40 sq in of port area.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived