Sonic Electronix

Impedance rise, not your typical question

I know it's been a month, but I noticed something in the Crossfire subwoofer manual that caught my attention and I remembered this thread.

It states:

"Speaker Wiring Comments: For each individual subwoofer, it doesn't matter if you wire the coils in series or parallel. However, don't wire [a subwoofer] in series with another - that results in less than optimum power sharing and sound"

So, what are you guy's thoughts on that? why does wiring two or more woofers in series pose a problem (in CF's eyes) in comparison to wiring in parallel?

That's the first I've ever heard that. I'm curious to see what other people's experience is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I do not think that is correct. Two discreet solenoids in series do not have further negative effects any more than two solenoids wound to the same bobbin in series.

I have never experienced anything other than what would be expected when wiring elements in series, in parallel, or a combination of the two.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with these issues?

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

I'll make a mental note to test this out when I come back to the states. seems like a good reason to try out the AMM-1. We'll see how much power goes to my two 12's wired in series versus parallel on a single frequency. we'll say 40hz. all elements will be the same for the tests.

unless someone else does it first I supposed

like triticum said. Back in tech school we had to calculate voltage and current in parallel-series circuits. I don't really see this as any different.

in a dc circuit yes, in ac its defferent, you have the inductive resistance aswell as the normal resistance and how you wire it will change how much out of phase the amps are compared to voltage.

Archived