Sundown Audio

Clamping my amp

alibaba

How were your gains set?

That amp should be capable of putting out somewhere around 50 volts.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

clamp the power going into the amp on dc setting and do a burp, leave your dmm on the speaker wire set to acc for shits and giggles

will go back out there in a lil when i get a chance

06 Envoy

250a ALT

2x 2400 kinetiks

USX65KV1 w/ parallel bridged mosfets 2200rms @ 1ohm @13v powering 1 Orion hcca122

Taramp HD2500 for mid range

4xPioneer 6x9's 2x 1" Pioneer tweets

How were your gains set?

That amp should be capable of putting out somewhere around 50 volts.

when i did the 40hz the gain was little over half way up, when i did the 30hz test tone i too it lil over 3/4

06 Envoy

250a ALT

2x 2400 kinetiks

USX65KV1 w/ parallel bridged mosfets 2200rms @ 1ohm @13v powering 1 Orion hcca122

So you are just setting them arbitrarily? Not a great idea.

The right the way to do it is using something that can detect clipping/distortion, like a DD-1 or oscope. It will let you get max power out of your amp without damaging stuff.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

So you are just setting them arbitrarily? Not a great idea.

The right the way to do it is using something that can detect clipping/distortion, like a DD-1 or oscope. It will let you get max power out of your amp without damaging stuff.

ur def right about that, right now im only using the clip indicator on the amp, but as soon as i see the clip light id turn it down 1 on the deck till the clip light is gone

but still this amp should still put out more than 500watts right? something is wrong with my setup

06 Envoy

250a ALT

2x 2400 kinetiks

according to your numbers you are seeing 1.6ohms while playing. which is weird.

maybe a blown voice coil?

06 Envoy

250a ALT

2x 2400 kinetiks

wait a sec, if i recall I saw a video about taramps giving off electromagnetic fields that effect clamp meters. try and clamp the speaker wire as far as possible away from the case or do what he did in the video which was to run a ground to the heatsink and this made the emf stop.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

ur def right about that, right now im only using the clip indicator on the amp, but as soon as i see the clip light id turn it down 1 on the deck till the clip light is gone

but still this amp should still put out more than 500watts right? something is wrong with my setup

Well at least you have clip light.

Since your impedance isn't at one ohm you aren't ever going to get the full 2500 watts no matter what. You don't have to get the full listed wattage to get full power out of an amp though, and rarely will you. At 28.9 volts you are getting the 1 ohm equivalent of 835 watts, still a long way from 2500, but better than 500.

Builds:

wait a sec, if i recall I saw a video about taramps giving off electromagnetic fields that effect clamp meters. try and clamp the speaker wire as far as possible away from the case or do what he did in the video which was to run a ground to the heatsink and this made the emf stop.

I have also heard rumors that some Brazilian amps aren't allowed in certain competition classes which go by clamped power since there's something that goes wrong when trying to clamp them. Doesn't sound terribly logical to me, but who knows?

Also that amp should be able to make 50V if it is supposed to do rated power.

Archived