First SQL Build

wrxfan96

I semi agree with the purchase of a H.O. alternator for SQ. Really not needed. Big three and a good battery will be a better investment for an "SQ" system. Also, a power supply for tuning but, that's later. If you do not plan to run your vehicle off for long periods of time or pushing some crazy 10K amplifier then you should be good.

I know my thought process of building a system varies from car to car. Is the new car a virgin?

With a clean slate I would suggest figuring out your source unit. This alone can take you some time researching and reading the internet on reviews and talking to people. Single Din, Double Din, OEM or Tablet. There are a bunch of ways to go now a days. In the end it comes down to personal preference and features. Personally I am an Alpine fan.

Speakers and Amplification go hand in hand. Unfortunately, not all shops have a sound room and even if they do it is not always the best way to judge a speaker. What sounds good on a wall does not always sound good in a car. The best way to listen to a speaker (IMHO) is in the vehicle. I would suggest to find some SQ shows and get some ears on. This may be a difficult task and will take you some time so be patient. It is worth the wait.

However, the biggest improvement you can do is add a subwoofer. This would be 2nd or 3rd thing I would do while you get you gather your thoughts and equipment. Just a 100-500 watt amp, sub and pre fab box.

Not sure if this was any help, good luck.

myself I run a 320 amp alternator. My volts not below 13.7. I believe in amps to create amps.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

I'd start with the big 3 first, then sound deadener and speakers, headunit, rear batt, mids amp, bass amp, sub. It really comes to personal preference on which order you do it in. As far as buying cheap, then upgrading later, you'll waste more money and time that way. Just wait till you have the money and do it right the first time. Think about it, you buy a $100 set of speakers, you'll lose money selling them probably, maybe get $50-70.

This is his "first" sql build. I would think that in order to pull things off like you WhiteLightning, the person would really need the experience and knowledge it takes to do that.

I think for a "first" time it might be less complicating to not worry about having enough current to keep up with the system.

I am a noob tho, so my words are always just another persepective and opinion. Consider my views, but do your own double checking reasearch before you make a decision OP. Goodluck man!

Archived