Sundown Audio

XTX 5000.1 Protect and smoking subs

starkey814

Try bigger fuses. 150 is too low.

250 A should be enough.

The fuses are not the problem.

You could put a 500amp fuses in the fuse holder, it would not change the outcome.

People really need to learn how fuses work and how to use them.

Installing a larger fuse in the fuse holder WILL NOT allow more power through the wire to the amp.

All a larger fuse will do (especially if a larger fuse is not needed) is put your system at a larger risk of burning up in flames.

Ideally you want to fuse according to the actual amperage draw being transferred through the wire, not what the wire can handle.

So if your power wire can handle 350 amps, but your amp is only drawing 200 amps then you should use a 200 amp fuse and not a 350 amp fuse.

Perfect case and point.

You turned the system on and it started smoking, your 150amp fuses didnt blow and you had an obvious problem going on.

So why would you think you would need larger fuses.........

A 150amp fuse could handle over 200+amps of current for a couple minutes before blowing

They are slow blow fuses, so just because you use 100 amp, or 300 amp or whatever amp fuse in the install doesnt mean it will instantly blow once it goes over its rating.

This is why it is KEY to fuse for the actual current demand, and not the wire.

If you had a 350amp fuse in the wire and the wire shorted out, the fuse would allow that short to continuously happen for a while before the fuse got hot enough and blows.

culd be amp issue had a old mmats d300hc about 15 years ago or so that did same thing, everything was hooked up right jus smoked shit out of subs, smoke was pouring out of port. ended up being an issue the amp repair place I sent it to couldnt even diagnose. ended upt rading it and cash for a mmats d200hc they had

That's what I am thinking because the subs ran just fine on the previous amp.

• 2 weeks later...

culd be amp issue had a old mmats d300hc about 15 years ago or so that did same thing, everything was hooked up right jus smoked shit out of subs, smoke was pouring out of port. ended up being an issue the amp repair place I sent it to couldnt even diagnose. ended upt rading it and cash for a mmats d200hc they had

That's what I am thinking because the subs ran just fine on the previous amp.

Seems you know what the issue is... unless their is some kind of feedback issue from the head unit, it's really sounding like your amp is the problem.

Archived