Sundown Audio

XTX 5000.1 Protect and smoking subs

starkey814

Ok......My brother-in-law wanted me to install a RE XTX5000.1 on his 2 DB Drive K9 15's....

I told him he needed another battery and some 1/0 cable. Got the second battery and some 1/0 Sky High to make the run from the front to the back along with Sky High fuses and holders.

Battery connections:

1 positive run from the back to the front, fused 6 inches after the battery under the hood and 5 inches before the back battery. Both 150 amp fuses.

1 ground run from the back to the front. Battery to battery.

1 ground from rear battery to frame of the car.

Amp connections:

1 positive fused about 6 inches after rear battery. Another 150 amp fuse.

1 ground from the cars frame to the amp.

After running wire all day, soldering connections and triple checking my work, I put all the fuses in and fired it up.....straight to protect mode on the amp but....I started to smell burning, looked in the trunk and smoke was coming out of the box. I immediately shut off the car, pulled all fuses and took the box out of the car. This all happened within 1 minute of firing it up.

So my question is.....did he get screwed on the amp or did I do something wrong? When I pulled all fuses, I was feeling all power and ground wire and they were cool as a cucumber but the amp was really hot! Then once again, I triple checked all my wires to make sure I didn't do anything wrong...I am 100% positive all my connections and wires are good.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like either a problem with the amp or something is shorting out inside ur enclosure. Are the subs fried? Do they smell burnt?

Try bigger fuses. 150 is too low.

250 A should be enough.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Sounds like either a problem with the amp or something is shorting out inside ur enclosure. Are the subs fried? Do they smell burnt?

Oh yeah....subs smell a little crispy. Coil looks burnt. After I pulled the subs out of the box, I checked each voice coil and they all still read 4ohm....

Try bigger fuses. 150 is too low.

250 A should be enough.

I thought the same thing but it went straight into protect mode and started frying subs...so the amp was seeing power

Try the subs on a different amp. Does the amp go into protect without any subs connected?

I didn't check that....I was so pissed off at the whole deal so I just took fuses out, amp out and subs out of the box...then proceeded to have a couple beers.

Unload the amp and see if it protects.

Meter coils while they are dis con.

Drink more beer.

I metered the coils when I pulled the subs out of the box with no speaker wires attached. All read 3.7 - 3.9 ohms.

I guess when I have some free time, I'll hook the amp up with no subs and see what happens....while drinking more beer.....

culd be amp issue had a old mmats d300hc about 15 years ago or so that did same thing, everything was hooked up right jus smoked shit out of subs, smoke was pouring out of port. ended up being an issue the amp repair place I sent it to couldnt even diagnose. ended upt rading it and cash for a mmats d200hc they had

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

Archived