[Final Update 6/6] 99 S-10 Blazer Build - Lots of setups

Got started on the new box tonight, and must say that my dad and I are getting much better at these over-the-wheel-well boxes lol.

The first one for the 4 15s took us like 8 hours, this one tonight only was about 45 minutes to the point we are at.

G5krb7xl.jpg

Xx9zRPzl.jpg

56VNPQyl.jpg

Just have to finish the baffles tomorrow, then when its 60 degrees on Sunday I'll paint it up. Going to be Onyx black with red splatter paint. Hopefully it'll turn out okay.

Box specs are 10.45 cubes net, 176 square inches of port, tuned @ 34hz

So here's the box built

aoj6eO3l.jpg

Gd2f0WTl.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be painting the port cherry red, and then also trying splatter paint. Not really sure how this will look when it's done, but I guess we will find out soon!

Also I think I have my wiring for the 2nd alt figured out, so hopefully she'll be up and playing tomorrow.

Another idea successfully stolen from Ty lol. The splatter paint came out great in my opinion

3w3lwGHl.jpg

cw1lnQSl.jpg

Anyways, I couldn't find the right alternator connector locally, so here are the scores this setup did with one 2200 @ 1 ohm.

jUNvGPil.png

as74Y8Wl.png

While I lost a lot of higher output, I definitely gained on the lows. 140dB @ 26hz seems pretty dang good to me! 

Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to drop in the 2nd alternator and amp and see the true capabilities of this setup.

Yeah, those low, lows eat current... 2nd alternator should definitely help... Love those Blazers!

Wish I could paint mine as well as you've done!

3 hours ago, RedFred said:

Another idea successfully stolen from Ty lol. The splatter paint came out great in my opinion

3w3lwGHl.jpg

cw1lnQSl.jpg

Anyways, I couldn't find the right alternator connector locally, so here are the scores this setup did with one 2200 @ 1 ohm.

jUNvGPil.png

as74Y8Wl.png

While I lost a lot of higher output, I definitely gained on the lows. 140dB @ 26hz seems pretty dang good to me! 

Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to drop in the 2nd alternator and amp and see the true capabilities of this setup.

1 minute ago, 1gggman1 said:

Yeah, those low, lows eat current... 2nd alternator should definitely help... Love those Blazers!

Wish I could paint mine as well as you've done!

Haha. The first black coat took about 8 minutes for the entire box, with a roller.

From there the port took probably 30 minutes to paint red with a paint brush, and then splattering the box took about 15 minutes also with a brush.

I can't wait to get full power to this. It's pretty disappointing running two 18s and only doing a 145 lol

Nice box! How come you didn't make the port the width of the box? A couple of braces in the port would have been tight painted red.

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

Box looking good!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

27 minutes ago, BP1Fanatic said:

Nice box! How come you didn't make the port the width of the box? A couple of braces in the port would have been tight painted red.

I posted about it in the box section and the only responses I got were negative, so I went for a smaller port ratio (1:2.75 instead of 1:7.3)

Afterwards though I was reading about port up subs up in general, and people were saying that large port ratios were better because it allowed the air to bounce off the hatch rather than result in a stalemate right above the subs. /shrug.

Once I get the 2nd amp on I'll re-evaluate, and if another box needs to be built, I'll do it ?

Alright little update time.

I managed to get home for a couple hours today, and threw my 2nd amplifier on just to see how bad my voltage drop would be.

kj8mGdVl.jpg

With the two 2200s strapped @ 1 ohm, going full tilt I'm dropping to around 12.5v. I was a little scared of running 0.5 at first, but after a 2 hour ride home beating on them, none of my amps were hot, which is really encouraging.

I made a valiant attempt to install my 2nd alternator, but the kit I bought didn't come with instructions and I could not figure out what the heck I was doing. Spent about 2 hours monkeying around before I finally went on facebook "Blazer SPL" and asked for help. Immediately they told me what was wrong, but it was already too late and I had to return to school.

With the new power I couldn't resist metering one song even though it was  almost 1am lol.

s55pZRzl.png

A little disappointed to have gone from each amp @ 1 to 0.5 ohms and not have gained anything yet, but maybe I'll hit the elusive 150 once I have that extra 270a from the alternator.

Of course this was only one song and I don't know where the setup peaks, and didn't get to test any low notes.

My roommate loves telling me that I'm a "148 hero" and that my old 4 15s were much louder, so we made a $100 wager and I went and bought back the setup from the guy I sold it to in December.

FKbRJFnl.jpg

So eventually those will probably get loaded back into here to settle our little disagreement ?

Tuned in for comparison. Good stuff!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived