Killer777 Posted November 9, 2016 Report Posted November 9, 2016 I have a single NSV3 12" sub in a small car, and would like to know the optimal size for the box on low power. I'm talking 2,500 watts, and I'd say most know they will easily handle much much more, so I'd like to cut the power handling a little as I cannot exceed 2,500 watts. If you'd like to know max dimensions I have to work with I'll post it. Also, if you don't have either constructive criticism or helpful advice, please don't comment. Looking to tune low as this will be a realitivly musical build. Sub will likely face forward and ports either forward or facing up. Wired to an ohm. Any other requests for information, feel free to ask.
MrSkippyJ Posted November 9, 2016 Report Posted November 9, 2016 You enclosure will depend on the car and dimensions so those will be needed. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Killer777 Posted November 10, 2016 Author Report Posted November 10, 2016 17 tall 36 wide 19 deep These are the maximum dimensions I have to work with.
MrSkippyJ Posted November 10, 2016 Report Posted November 10, 2016 What kind of vehicle? F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
ckeeler11 Posted November 10, 2016 Report Posted November 10, 2016 Box size is determined by speaker specs not the power you are running to it. i would build to manufacturer specs. and bang away. Power will come into play for port design.
Killer777 Posted November 10, 2016 Author Report Posted November 10, 2016 I'm aware it's determined by the manufacturer, that's not what I'm asking for. I would bet a lot of money that there are many intelligent people with a lot of time and experience in this field that run boxes larger or smaller for different purposes. There's many manufactures that give tolerances for the internal size of boxes as well, so it's not just me. What I am asking for is people with experience doing this, and their thoughts, suggestions and opinions to guide me in the right direction.
ckeeler11 Posted November 10, 2016 Report Posted November 10, 2016 Well you asked for box size for under powering sub. the box size does not change for under powering sub is all I was saying. Sundown specs are pretty right on at 2.5 cu.ft. if you want a little more peak then bump it up a little.
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 10, 2016 Report Posted November 10, 2016 I'm aware it's determined by the manufacturer, that's not what I'm asking for. I would bet a lot of money that there are many intelligent people with a lot of time and experience in this field that run boxes larger or smaller for different purposes. There's many manufactures that give tolerances for the internal size of boxes as well, so it's not just me. What I am asking for is people with experience doing this, and their thoughts, suggestions and opinions to guide me in the right direction. All else being equal, making a ported box larger will increase output around tuning, increase group delay, and increase cone excursion. The opposite happens when you make a box smaller. Increase group delay and cone excursion are undesirable. Increasing output around tuning can be either good or bad depending on what your goals are. Everything is a trade off. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Killer777 Posted November 10, 2016 Author Report Posted November 10, 2016 Alright, I appreciate the constructive criticism and information. That's what I'd like to know though. How much is a little bit? .25 of a cube? .50 of a cube? Not necessarily directed at you, but from what I've read everyone is very vague on how much. Im aware. The excursion of the subwoofer will be able to handle a little extra, I'm sure. As for group delay, there's just not much getting away from that, I know. But let's be 100% honest here, NSV3s are NOT sound quality subs, they can be musical, but that's not mosts intended purpose behind using them.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.