Jump to content

Trying to Keep Stock Look, but be Loud? 200W Components?


whazoo84

Recommended Posts

Posted

Are there such things as components that can handle 200W? I'm running a SoundStream X3.2K4 which @ 4 ohms can do 200W clean @ 50hz all day long.

What I'd like to know is what should I do? I could have a shop make me some custom door panels and rear deck and just add a couple woofers and be good to go.

The door speakers can handle 5.25 components, in the rear can handle 6x9's. I found some Pioneer 6x9s that are rated 300RMS 600 peak, but I can't find any components that are small that can do a similar wattage.

Any recommendations?

Posted

I ran 175+ to my JBL P660c's all day everyday @2ohm but limited the low pass to 80hz, i did full range on a set for a while till the excursion ripped the surrounds on them and had to have them replaced. There really aren't a ton of speakers capable of taking 200w all day, and if you think about trying to play full range you have about a zero % chance of finding a set capable of taking that abuse for long. The better the quality the better your odds of getting something capable of doing what you want, just remember that playing speakers that hard reduces longevity.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

I ran 175+ to my JBL P660c's all day everyday @2ohm but limited the low pass to 80hz, i did full range on a set for a while till the excursion ripped the surrounds on them and had to have them replaced. There really aren't a ton of speakers capable of taking 200w all day, and if you think about trying to play full range you have about a zero % chance of finding a set capable of taking that abuse for long. The better the quality the better your odds of getting something capable of doing what you want, just remember that playing speakers that hard reduces longevity.

Oh yeah I know first hand that running the shit out of speakers = low life span. I'm a technician in the automotive, HVAC, and consumer and light industrial electronics industry. I do home theater systems, and now I'm getting better at car systems. I can do boxes and put subs in and wire everything super clean. I just don't like having metric shit tons of speakers everywhere, I LOVE concealed systems where it looks like nothing was there to begin with.

I'm not running full pass, 80hz and above will go to the surrounding speakers, 80hz and below will go to the subs.

I guess I'll just try and get some high power custom front panels and see what happens, unless someone else comes up with a solution.

Posted

I had great luck with both the JBL P660c's and Hertz HSK165's and ran both full range with tons of power, and damaged both sets in different ways, JBL's tore the surrounds and the Hertz tore at the triple joint.

Going with really good quality speakers, you can pretty much assure yourself with getting something capable of taking the power and sounding amazing.

I like to recommend the JBL's for budget and the Hertz for quality, but don't limit yourself to those suggestions alone.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

I had great luck with both the JBL P660c's and Hertz HSK165's and ran both full range with tons of power, and damaged both sets in different ways, JBL's tore the surrounds and the Hertz tore at the triple joint.

Going with really good quality speakers, you can pretty much assure yourself with getting something capable of taking the power and sounding amazing.

I like to recommend the JBL's for budget and the Hertz for quality, but don't limit yourself to those suggestions alone.

I'd rather go with quality over price, since I'm investing 720$ on ONE alternator alone, I don't really think some 200$ speakers are really gonna phase me.

My wallets crying as it is, can't really get any worse.

Also, my front doors are 5.25, meanwhile I tried putting 5.25s in and they didn't fit. @SonicElectronix you lied to me.

Doesn't matter though, I found the same JBL speakers in the 5.25's rated for just about the same so I'll be good.

Thanks for the help.

Posted

Might be able to get some 6.5" mdf speaker rings and mount them to the door to increase the speaker size and options you have to you.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

Might be able to get some 6.5" mdf speaker rings and mount them to the door to increase the speaker size and options you have to you.

Nah, 6.5's will fit. It's just that 5.25's can also fit with the extensions that they all give with you when you purchase them. However, this leaves an air gap unless they also include a gasket. So I'm just gonna go get some 6.5's make em' fit however is necessary and just go for it.

Posted

Check out the PPI p65c3 component set, 250w rms and pretty damn clear at that price point. Although you never stated if you're doing passive or active, and what HU or DSP your running.

Posted

Check out the PPI p65c3 component set, 250w rms and pretty damn clear at that price point. Although you never stated if you're doing passive or active, and what HU or DSP your running.

I can run active or passive, the only reason I'm asking for help is because I'm new to the car audio game, not to the sound world in general.

I do home theater, live sound, and stadium sound systems normally, just new to the car audio world and a huge basshead.

I've been lurking for awhile, but never really got into it.

Edit: that's a 3 way setup, I'm looking for 2 way setup. Just want clear audio, not super duper high quality.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1083 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...