Sonic Electronix

what does S/N ratio really mean and how does it effect me?

ok so i see THD (total harmonic distortion) and S/N (signal to noise ratio) all over amps that im looking at.

i have an alpine PDX-F6 on my doors and a alpine PDX-M12 on my sub. i see THD at .05% and S/N at 96db

my buddy got an audiopipe amp and it says THD of .15% and a S/N of 70db, in the real world what does that mean for the average user when setting up a system and choosing parts?????

my whole set up is dayton audio speakers and alpine amps as i want something with better sound then just being loud. hes going for loud noise on a budget.

You are bumping things every hour, give it time, it's the middle of the night...after a holiday......

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Signal to noise ratio. The volume level at which a low level of hiss or "noise", any sounds that are nonmusical, becomes detectable in the music. So an HU with a S/n ratio of 100db is very high quality. Alpine and Eclipse used to make HU's with a s/n of 105 or 110 db's, very high quality. Today, its more like 90 or 95 db's s/n ratio on mst HU's. THD, or total harmonic distortion, is the tiny amount of distortion introduced into the signal by the amplifier itself. High quality amps will have a lower THD. Don't worry about these things too much if you run high quality equipment.

Signal to noise ratio. The volume level at which a low level of hiss or "noise", any sounds that are nonmusical, becomes detectable in the music. So an HU with a S/n ratio of 100db is very high quality. Alpine and Eclipse used to make HU's with a s/n of 105 or 110 db's, very high quality. Today, its more like 90 or 95 db's s/n ratio on mst HU's. THD, or total harmonic distortion, is the tiny amount of distortion introduced into the signal by the amplifier itself. High quality amps will have a lower THD. Don't worry about these things too much if you run high quality equipment.

Archived