in line voltage vs gain voltage?

if you have high in line voltage let's say you got +15 on sub level and your gain is lower VS turning that to 0 and having the gain up a little more. I heard gain voltage is better then in line. idk if people actually tested this. I guess what I'm trying to say is it all comes down to the clipping aspect of this.

sorry if that sounds kinda dumb

A Higher rca input voltage leads to a lower noise floor. However, too much isn't good. Many Koreans are rated for a max of 6v. Hell, on my NS1, the wave on my scope got weird with more than 4.5v.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Yeah that I do know mine is 4v but I know ppl say to turn the suv level all the way up on those and Alpine decks then set gains. why I'm saying all this is bc my teammate has a kenwood and he set everything to 0 and then did his gains bc before it was like mine and he gained almost 2db. I didn't believe it either but he sure did lol

There is really no reason to limit the source output (clean output) so the amplifier can do the rest of the work. Nothing is going to get better because you make the input stage of the amplifier do more work. It may not be noticeably worse either though. If he gained 2db by setting everything to 0 then it was probably because the signal was so dirty coming out of the headunit that it hurt the speaker output. The only real difference between a clean 2v output and a clean 4v output (assuming you don't a shit ton of amplifiers) is the noise floor and it's a minimal difference at best.

Edit: You could argue that you set the sub level output a bit lower (say 13 out of 15) to give yourself some head room for quiet songs. But I don't think that is what you are referring to with your question.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived