Jkeen1978 Posted December 21, 2016 Author Report Posted December 21, 2016 All kinds really but right now I'd like to get the most out of the subs that I possibly can without risking damage to them. In other words I want to show off. Lol
neuspeedescort Posted December 22, 2016 Report Posted December 22, 2016 if you like all kinds that equals more musical. i always like to build boxes a few HZ below the subs FS. generally is the nicest sounding i have found.
reedal Posted December 22, 2016 Report Posted December 22, 2016 That'd put him at around 18hz tuning. So no. Tuning at 35 is a good spot for all music that isn't slowed and edited to have frequencies below 30hz. You'll also want the enclosure to be on the smaller side of the recommended airspace in order to keep the enclosure from being peaky, giving you a flatter response. Are you designing this 2.15ft^3 enclosure you're talking about? or is someone else building it for you, or is it a prefab? SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Jkeen1978 Posted December 22, 2016 Author Report Posted December 22, 2016 It's a prefab box. I remeasured the sealed box their in now and it's actually 1.3 per sub. Kenwood shows optimal sealed @1.25 and ported @2.0. At 1.3 sealed should I even be messing with it? They show a difference of about 8-9db between sealed and ported. Would it really make that big of a difference or should I just stay with a sealed box?im adding 2 more subs (got my 3rd in last night)and it's all going in the back seat of an f350. I can do the 1.5 ported as suggested previously,that just seems small to me but I'm a mechanic and am limited on my knowledge of car audio. If you guys think 1.5ported is good I'm all for it. Thanks
reedal Posted December 22, 2016 Report Posted December 22, 2016 don't put an enclosure on your back seat. That's asking for trouble if you get into an accident. a proper ported enclosure will beat a proper sealed enclosure in regards to output loudness any time, but they both have their own purpose. Your sub may not even be suited for ported, or vice versa. it depend on the t/s parameters to decide which style enclosure a woofer is best suited for. Also, buying a prefab enclosure won't be the best thing for those subs, even if the air space is correct. The tuning will likely not be what is advertised, or if it is, the port area will be way too little. How many subs are you planning on using total, powered by what amp, and what are the dimensions you have to work with (not on your back seat! either under or behind the seat for safety reasons). There are a few good enclosure designers who offer their designs to those who need help, assuming they provide the info I listed. You're much better off building your own enclosure with a good design to suit your needs. SMD Tool Map https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/ Build log https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/197217-reeds-03-tahoe-hat-sqaq-singer-xs-shca-cockbox-80prs/?page=32
Jkeen1978 Posted December 22, 2016 Author Report Posted December 22, 2016 I was planning on running four subs off of a kicker ZX 2500.1 I don't know the dimensions I have right off hand I'll have to look when I get off work but I do know half the backseat folds up that's what I was planning on using was that space
neuspeedescort Posted December 22, 2016 Report Posted December 22, 2016 That'd put him at around 18hz tuning. So no. Tuning at 35 is a good spot for all music that isn't slowed and edited to have frequencies below 30hz. You'll also want the enclosure to be on the smaller side of the recommended airspace in order to keep the enclosure from being peaky, giving you a flatter response. Are you designing this 2.15ft^3 enclosure you're talking about? or is someone else building it for you, or is it a prefab? if the real FS is even 20. i'm willing to bet there is a typo there somewhere. but if the FS is really 20 then yes 18 is way to low.
Jkeen1978 Posted December 22, 2016 Author Report Posted December 22, 2016 That's what kenwood has it listed as. 20.1
neuspeedescort Posted December 22, 2016 Report Posted December 22, 2016 i see that in the owners manual. it just seems very low. generally a low FS goes hand in hand with low Xmax and high sensitivity. however the sensitivity is low at 82db. the xmax is also very low at 7.6mm. IMO this subwoofer is better suited for a sealed enclosure or a small port area ported enclosure.
Jkeen1978 Posted December 24, 2016 Author Report Posted December 24, 2016 Please don't laugh but if I set my amp output at 400 watts per the ram rating of my subs do I need to increase this when running multiple subs? Say 1600watts for 4 subs
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.