Second Skin Audio

Single 15" Sub help wanted

jimdog32526

Hey I just joined up.

Im working on my Full Size Bronco Stereo system.  I was wanting some input from you experts here about the set up.

So I used to have 2 x 12's in a wedge cabinet, it was OK, just no where near loud enough.  It was just some cheapo junk I got cheap but it worked, till someone stole it, tore up a bunch of shit getting it out, pissed me off really bad.  But its my fault, I thought the factory alarm was working, guess not.  Well I have since remedied that and got a good aftermarket alarm.  So now that that is fixed, Im going to be ready in a month or 2 to start building the system again and I need some advice on a sub.  I am thinking that the 2x12 cabinet was just a bit bulky for me, I would really rather have something a bit smaller, so I was thinking of going with a AWESOME quality single 12 or Single 15.  Something like a RE XX or MX, or sundown, something pretty decent. 

My full range set up is 2 6.5's in the doors, 2 6x9's in the rear panels, and 2 6x9's in boxes.  They are all JBL and I really like them alot.  Im running a Hifonics BRX 1616.4 on these.  Its stupid loud with this setup, but I dont really run it loud, I do have gobs of headroom though as this amp is rated for 400x4 @ 2ohms, so I know I am at least getting 300 good clean watts per channel out of it which is enough to smoke the speakers if cranked.

So how much power should I put to the sub box to offset the rest of the system?  I was thinking at least 1500-1800 watts @ 1 ohm with a good DVC 12 or 15 in a well tuned box below 40 hz.

I am also gathering parts for my Battery/Alternator upgrade.  Mechman 240 amp alternator going thru a sure power splitter to a battery selector switch then into dual Batteries. Im still fine tuning the Breakers and fuses, so that will all likely change.  Im going to use a XS Power  D3400 for the audio on #0 AWG cable to the distribution block under the hood.  Then #0 all the way to the back distribution block in the rear of the truck.  Then run #2 or #4 to the amps.  So Power should not be a problem.

Heres a diagram of that.

Dual%20Battery%20with%20isolator%20Drawi

A single 12 or 15 might not be loud enough without putting tons of power to it. Two 15s on about 3k can get loud while still sounding good. Maybe tune between 30hz and 35hz for todays music. Everyone normally runs all their batteries in parallel. Do you plan on listening to the stereo with the engine off? With the power you are talking about, it would only take a few songs before you would have to start up to charge anyways. Oh and welcome to SMD!

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

The XS Power Battery will be fine for my purposes.  I dont sit and listen with the truck off more than a song or so max.  I also dont listen to today's music really.  Most of what I listen to is classic rock, or 80's metal  or Current Prog Metal.  Dream Theater more often than anything else, or RUSH.  The crappy 2x12 WCC box with 600 Watts of junkular power was almost loud enough, it just didnt HIT.  I want to feel it, I dont need to break the windows though.   I figured if the 2 x12's at 600 were almost good enough, than 2.5 to 3 times that should be about right.  I really dont know what all these higher end more expensive Subs sound like.  I saw the RE audio stuff has good reviews, but I dont know if the quality is as good as something like an Orion HCCA or even if that is any good.  I just want it to hit hard so you feel it, but not hard enough to break the windows.  Truck is fully ready with multiple layers of sound deadener.  

20131122_140341%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jp

Then I have foil backed Jute Padding on top of that.

20140709_155113%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy.jp

Then Carpet

20131122_220910.jpg

This is the old crappy sub I had.  Apparently someone wanted it more than me.

20150116_174726.jpg

I might as well add a shot of my full range amp.  I havent seen anyone running one of these.  I got it for the headroom.  I have heard they are rated higher than they put out, but I also have seen some of the dyno runs where in dynamic mode they put out over the rating.  So I figured what the hell, I will give it a shot.  I may end up throwing another set of speakers on there to use all 4 channels.

I forgot how big the thing is.

20170103_202648.jpg

20170103_202838.jpg

20170103_202804.jpg

20170103_202732.jpg

20170103_202813.jpg

Pretty nice looking amp.  I hooked it up for a test run a while back and it sounded great.  I didnt get to give it a real shakedown test because I have no subs, and Loud as fuck mids and highs with no subs is not conducive to judging how something sounds.

Archived