What's best between these sets?

perern

Welcome to SMD

No "verses" threads please.

Why would you want "bi-amp" crossovers ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

12 hours ago, White Lightning said:

Why would you want "bi-amp" crossovers ??

I got an 8 channel amplifier to replace the OEM amp, 10 speakers in the car, use the crossover with double input in front, single input in the back

12 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

What do you define as best? 

The only difference is the inverted dome and material, maybe best is not the right question, what's the difference?

1 minute ago, perern said:

I got an 8 channel amplifier to replace the OEM amp, 10 speakers in the car, use the crossover with double input in front, single input in the back

The only difference is the inverted dome and material, maybe best is not the right question, what's the difference?

"Best" is a relative term. What's good for you may not be good for me. I'm trying to tease out what it is you're looking for.

Best could be related to thing like: Customer service, warranty, power handling, mounting considerations, product availability, wiring options, crossover settings, style of termination, mounting depth, mounting diameter, waterproof or not, weight, midbass/low end extension, warm vs. cool sound, tweeter mounting considerations, what hardware it comes with, color, whether or not it accepts grilles, and more that I'm sure I'm not thinking of. That's what I was trying to get to, your feature priorities.

As to the thing in the middle - it's referred to as a phase plug. The short of it is that it mitigates cancellation and other acoustic artifacts at higher frequencies. Whether that's something important to you or not depends on crossover frequencies and what you have available for mounting options. It basically lets the big speaker play higher frequencies easier. Both rockford and focal do a lot of r&d on their equipment before sending it to market. I'd trust that their tweeters and crossovers are all set to handle musical frequencies just fine out of the box. 

Since how they sound is a function largely determined by install, I think your best bet would be to find a way of listening to each of them before you buy. The focals have a higher sensitivity. They theoretically could be louder on the same power, but the test used to determine that is a load of junk IMO, but that's a long topic for another discussion. Aside from that, it's a wash man. See if you can order and listen to both and let you send back the one you like less. Aside from that, it's all subjective. I'm not sure what to tell you there

Archived