Sonic Electronix

How loud have you seen 3 12' subs get?

He's new to the forum.....not car audio....

Anyway, I don't compete but I try and go to a lot of shows but sorry I haven't paid much attention to what people are hitting with 3 12's...

I have a few questions for you OP...Why do you ask about 3-12"?  I mean is it because that's what you plan on running?  Or is that what you competed with back in the day and just are curious where numbers have come to lately?  If you are planning on running them in what set up (trunk/wall/SUV)??  Are you doing a burp box just for one frequency for numbers?  Daily driver that CAN hit 152 with 3-12"?

One thing to remember is that competition rules change all the time so you might enjoy reading up on the rules in all the current sanctions and see the differences because rules back that will be quite a bit different than today so not all SPL numbers are created equal considering how many variables have changed.    i think that is why people are having a hard time answering your question.  but IDK......

I know I see 2-12" in a trunk doing like 150+  pretty easily at shows these days...when i say easy i mean those people have test and tuned for countless hours and that's on music, 150+ meaning perhaps 152+'ish which is incredibly good IMO.  When people get to the 150 from the trunk category we tend to consider that good, and loud.  It takes some doing to get there but very doable.  

In a big SUV you have a lot of cabin space to factor in...

If you had, or have now, a CRX then that's another story too, lol.

I think looking through the build log section is actually a good idea.  So many variables these days that it really depends on your goals with the system as to what number you might hit, throw enough cone area and power at it and the setup may matter less...I have seen 2-12" in a 1991 Eagle talon hatchback do a mere 144.4  then a CRX do a 150 with one sub....of course one has a wide frequency range and the other is a one note wonder...

If there are zero fucks given a lot of people are doing walls to get loud or 4th order bandpass (in a wall).  But I wouldn't do that with just 3-12"

Best thing I can suggest to actually answer your question is to go to a website like MWSPL (MidWest Sound pressure level) or NWSPL etc.  and look at the leader boards, see what people are doing in what classes, then look up what the rules are for each class and you can get an idea as to what set ups are doing what, SUV below window line, non-wall, trunk only, X amount of power max, etc. etc.  Hope this link works but here ya go...best of luck

http://www.midwestspl.com/leader-board-main/

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Thanks for the link, exactly what I need...input, almost too much, I guess I'ts gonna need some research...

Car audio, one upgrade after another... will it ever change!

Midwest SPL eh? It's all new to me...all over again, I've haven't competed since... the stone age apparently!

I'm looking at a possible big walled 6th order on the pillar tuned to the new resonance of the walled cabin .

3000 Wmrs + at 1 ohm... I'll run it at .67.

Already got the batteries (6), alternator (300A) and most of the wire.

Must have X-MAX /w/ efficiency.

The wife doesn't want a back-up camera in her car... She will get over it, she deserves a new car anyways! 

Small SUV,  moderate power and a little black magic I think.

Efficiency, Efficiency and more Efficiency.

MDF and a little resin in all the wrong places... Headliner, doors and dash...etc.

Lots of foam! 

It will probably NOT be a daily driver.

But I will leave a seat in.

Should be lots of fun!!!

and built on a small budget... it probably will be deemed ugly but called effective. 

Hopefully it's all in the super efficient enclosure... That much probably has stayed the same.

Gotta find that magic cabin Frequency first of all... after deadening the roof first!

No, I've gotta read the rules first..

I have to put on my reading glasses to design it then slave away to install it... I'm semi-retired, I've got lots of time and most of the peripherals already sitting around.

14 & 20 year old sons... ready to show Dad up, at least I will not have to endure the resin alone this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived