Dual Battery Hook up from alternator

I would like to know is it ok to hook up front and rear battery directly to the alternator instead of wiring both of them directly together. I have a xspower d3400 up front and a d3100 in the rear, I am trying to figure out which way is better.

yes, it is ok. 

As for which is better, the answer is one you have to find for yourself. Theoretically, the method that uses the least amount of wire (which will reduce the amount of voltage drop through the length of the wire due to less resistance) is going to be the best method. So is it a shorter path from alt to rear battery, or from front battery to rear battery?

Thanks I have been wondering about this for quite some time, because I see a lot of people running both in parallel with one another including myself.  I never thought about it from a resistance standpoint, and I am also considering upgrading the wire to 2/0 instead of 0 gauge.

• 3 weeks later...

Ideally, there should be no difference in voltage between the output stud of the alternator and the positive battery terminal of the primary starting battery under the hood.  Most elect to make this connection at the battery terminal itself as it's easier than attempting to stack two large eyelets on the output stud of the alternator.  In addition, many options are offered for battery terminals that permit multiple large cables.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Archived