Sonic Electronix

Bad info from shady car audio shop?

Stingers 1/0 cost $7.99/ft, 50 feet would be just under $400 at that price. $300 is a cheaper price for buying a 50ft spool. But i think $300 is still paying msrp prices. Really wish stinger would have an online store, hate dealing with shops. 

I think the "technique" they're talking about for setting gains is checking the headunit manual to find preout voltage. Then turning the gain nob to that same number. Example, ur manual says 4v preouts.....got to the amp and turn the gain to 4(some amps have numbers on the gain nob). Thats very sketchy lol just use a dd-1. 

6 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

Here in hawaii, 50ft of 0 guage stinger cost me 337$ shipped. They could have exaggerated the price a bit.

your skar RP isnt bad of an amp, i used to own a pair and sold them to a friend. Still going strong however its still a 200$ amp so keep that in consideration.

Setting gains properly really is not complicating at all for people who do it multiple times daily, however if they are just turning knobs by ear then thats considered half ass and incorrect.

0 guage IS overkill for that amp, but nothing wrong with some headroom for future upgrades.

It would depend on battery size,type,rating ect. An alternator can only take so much load before the voltage starts to sag and the depth of the sag will heavily depend on how much resistance you put on the alternator. 

Hey man, where'd u order ur stinger from??

38 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

Hey man, where'd u order ur stinger from??

Through a represenitive on maui, he owns a car audio shop & deals w/stinger.  I just checked amazon and that shit is 220$ with prime, pretty good for people who only need a spool or so.

4 hours ago, dispatch_ said:

Setting gains doesn't seem complicated at all to me. Using a DD-1, if I'm not mistaken, I'd just check the head unit for max volume without distortion, and then using the same volume setting set the amp gain until right before distortion happens. Easy, right? Don't know why the dude at the shop would think that checking the head unit for distortion is a stupid idea. Bad signal in means worse signal out, right?

I wouldn't trust a multimeter and math to ensure I'm not sending a bad signal through my system, especially when I've spent $400 on a sub. My wife would have a field day on me if I blew that sub, not gonna risk it.

How do you set gains? Just curious; I know there isn't any one perfect way, although the DD-1 seems to be it. 

I just use pocket oscilloscopes. I've been doing it that way for a while now, it doesn't matter what you use as long as it can properly detect distortion.   

11 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Through a represenitive on maui, he owns a car audio shop & deals w/stinger.  I just checked amazon and that shit is 220$ with prime, pretty good for people who only need a spool or so.

Certified sounds? thats where i got mine too. I just bought a few feet from them. They were able to order u ur own spool? I asked them to order me stinger rcas and they never came throught with it and never called, so i just bought it online, saved a good amount too. Didnt care to ask them to try to order something again after the rca request.  I dont trust buying important/expensive stuff off amazon. 

2 minutes ago, 06RTCharger said:

Certified sounds? thats where i got mine too. I just bought a few feet from them. They were able to order u ur own spool? I asked them to order me stinger rcas and they never came throught with it and never called, so i just bought it online, saved a good amount too. Didnt care to ask them to try to order something again after the rca request.  I dont trust buying important/expensive stuff off amazon. 

Yeah, my boss makes the orders from him. I've never been in that shop before, i live on oahu. I would say call them back about the RCA's but nah, its much cheaper online like you said.

2 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Yeah, my boss makes the orders from him. I've never been in that shop before, i live on oahu. I would say call them back about the RCA's but nah, its much cheaper online like you said.

I already bought the rcas but its been a bitch tryna find the stinger speaker wire i want online. Think ill just try the shop again, just to know its legit product. 

On 7/14/2017 at 7:24 PM, dispatch_ said:

I wouldn't trust a multimeter and math to ensure I'm not sending a bad signal through my system, especially when I've spent $400 on a sub. My wife would have a field day on me if I blew that sub, not gonna risk it.

Hahah you're not the only one in that boat friend. I think we should keep our 'hobby' account separate from the lady's reach.

Archived