How should I wire up 2x tweeters and mid drivers with one amplifer (active crossover)

Joshdashef

I've hit a road block and I cant think of how to go forward.

My idea was to use an active cross over from my head unit,Pioneer 80 prs, into a mono amp for my subs and a presumably 4 channel for my mids and highs. My question is how will I match an amp or amps to my tweeters and mid drivers if I want to have them on separate active cross overs so I can control them through the head unit and not passive cross overs. 

Would using a 4 channel amp like a p400 or p600.4 be able to work in this situation?

With one set of rcas feeding the tweeters as the "front" and one pair of rcas for the mids as the "rear," or would this cause too much power to reach the tweeters? Thus requiring a separate lower powered amp for the tweeter set and a higher power amp for the mids?

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome!

Thanks for your time.

If u have a four channel amp, you can go active on 4 speakers. Sounds like u think all channels will only put out the same power on all 4 channels? They could if thats what u want, but u can turn down the gain on the channel 1-2, without turning down the gain on channels 3-4. The amp will have two separate gain dials for the pair of channels. So turn the gains down for the tweets if u dont want the full power of those channels going to the tweets. And u can keep the gains where they should be for your mids. 

19 hours ago, 06RTCharger said:

If u have a four channel amp, you can go active on 4 speakers. Sounds like u think all channels will only put out the same power on all 4 channels? They could if thats what u want, but u can turn down the gain on the channel 1-2, without turning down the gain on channels 3-4. The amp will have two separate gain dials for the pair of channels. So turn the gains down for the tweets if u dont want the full power of those channels going to the tweets. And u can keep the gains where they should be for your mids. 

That's what I thought I could do originally but I wasn't sure.

Okay so if I were to set up like you suggested; with channel 1 and 2 set for mid drivers with their own gain setting, and channel 3 and 4 for tweeters with their own gain setting.

Would the dd-1 allow me to set the gains for both the mid and tweeters? even though I want to set the mids and tweeters at different rms outputs? For instance, 100 x 2 for the mids and 40 x 2 for the tweeters.

Is this below logic right?

Use a volt meter with a clamp meter to get the Volts and Amp rating from a sin wave at a specific frequency like 1k hz since its for the tweeters.

So, Volts x Amps = Rms Power and I would just adjust the gain until I reached a suitable rms power rating that I could check for distortion with the dd-1 afterwards?

I dont think you can set the output to a specified wattage with the DD-1. Maybe try starting another thread about setting for a specified wattage. I dont know enough about the mathematics to give u some advice, but you do sound like ur on the right track. Im sure others here can help verify that technique. Goodluck man.

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

I dont think you can set the output to a specified wattage with the DD-1. Maybe try starting another thread about setting for a specified wattage. I dont know enough about the mathematics to give u some advice, but you do sound like ur on the right track. Im sure others here can help verify that technique. Goodluck man.

Appreciate your help man!

Ill start a threat or search for one already made about different rms outputs for the same amp.

I would think you would set your gains properly and not use those as a volume control.  Just use the gain to match the output of the radio.

The active crossover you use should have a level control on it that you can use to set the level of output on your tweeters.  So, if you want less output from your tweeters than midrange, then you can turn down the level of the tweeter channels with the crossover.

6 hours ago, phuddleston said:

I would think you would set your gains properly and not use those as a volume control.  Just use the gain to match the output of the radio.

The active crossover you use should have a level control on it that you can use to set the level of output on your tweeters.  So, if you want less output from your tweeters than midrange, then you can turn down the level of the tweeter channels with the crossover.

My issue is how to set the rms output so I don't over power my tweeters past their peak values, so I need a way to measure it. 

Archived