Second Skin Audio

2 x 12 sub box (angled, ported)

AndriusLT

Hello I made a sub box for my E39.  I have a ski pass so made a box with port so all the bass would get into the cabin not trunk. What I wanted to ask is if I put the sub box close to the back seats (thats why I made it angled the same as the back seats) should I move it back a little bit so the subs would have some space and not vibrate the seats? But as I understand all the bass and vibration would come from the port through the ski pass into the cabin so it should not be an issue if the subs are blocked by the seats?

09c3f365d28854e3b6d20c9fa8245f82.thumb.png.66ef24ede06a45c061bad78452081fb4.png

Yeah you should move it back a bit.  With a ported box not all of the output comes out of the port.  Only the frequencies around the tuning frequency come out the port, everything above that comes from the cones.  If you want all the output to come out the port you need to build a bandpass box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ski hole area should match or exceed the port area your box needs to be useful, usually that is not the case so port through the rear deck is the alternative but to get the full box bandwidth into the cabin it needs to be a bandpass if you port to the cabin a ported box you will be listening most to the port output and much less to the subs output.

Made something from your suggestions. I think I will put subs up and port facing ski pass the box will sit nicely to the backseats so air from the port would go only to the cabin also am gonna cut the little rear deck speaker holes so the output from the subs would go into cabin as well, what do you guys think?

9147159161b437ad76ea364916f3c6c0.png

10fb762b105df9fc6fb0fc6c36a4c2ec.png

Archived