Second Skin Audio

Help needed with box design for x15

gonzalez210

So I just ordered a sundown x15 for my cadillac deville and am attempting to design a ported box for it. Truthfully this is my first time attempting a project like this and need a little help with the numbers. 

I am making it 17" tall 33" wide and 22" deep; which gives me a volume of about 5.8, then I subtract .22 for the subwoofer displacement which gives me roughly 5.6 ft.  When I go to port length calculators I enter the 5.6 cubic feet for box volume and get a 25" long port for 32 Hz ( port size= 4.4 x 15.5 x 25 ).

Now what is confusing the hell out of me is when I do the math for port volume it is roughly 1 cubic foot. It will be a slot port I am running along side, inside the box. So am I supposed to subtract an estimated port volume from box volume when I'm entering numbers in the "port length calculator"? Or does it automatically account for it somehow? Subtracting the port volume from box volume substantially mess with port length so I'm stuck right now and would really appreciate some help with this you guys.

What program are you using to work out your desired measurements as i am pretty sure Torres would do all the above. 

Also what are you going to be powering the sub with as i am sure someone on the site will be able to give you a hand on what will work best.

I personally would make the port 4.5 just so you have a little bit more port area other than that it looks good.

I am no enclosure pro but have built a few working with the measurements based on the subs recommended sizes and used Torres to work out my measurements and they have all turned out well maybe one of the more experienced people could give this a look over just to make sure everything is good.

for "# of Common Port Walls" enter 3, since you said it will be a slot port along the side of the enclosure. That will add a little more to net volume and adjust tuning some.

ok i think i finally got it, what yall think?

sTp - After messing with the tuning some more i realized i have to keep the port width at 4" to keep the box at the current size; I'm starting to worry about trunk space (you know kids..) so ill sacrifice that half inch and see what happens.

1.png

Archived