Help, Subs Compared To Cone Area

well, i've heard many say that cone area is a big factor when it comes to a GP, and thats what i want, but the question i have is that how big of a difference between cone area and power of the subs can make, ie..i've been really looking at type Rs for my first set up, every1 says they are great for the price, but there are also good reviews on the lvl 3s..or even some say the CVR (which i wouldnt do tho so..) but seeing as how the lvl3 are a bit more expensive, i think like 175 compared to type Rs for like 115, i believe they use about the same wattage so, would buying the ~better~ more expensive subs be better than having 1 or 2 more of the cheaper 1s (type Rs) ??? as if they were both running on the same power. still in HS with a PT job so i dont want to buy something for my truck and then not like it but not have money to change it.

I think my truck gets down pretty well for having a ton of cone area and not a lot of power. I was pushing around 600-800w a sub. Maybe someday i'll put some real power to it :ph34r:

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

by no means am i a ground pounder but cone area is the way to go if u have the room.

for example: my friend and i have the same amount of power ~1000rms. he has a 12" RF T2 sub. i have 2 15" Kicker CVR's. mine is definately louder than his, even if my box is about half the size it should be.

plus we paid about the same

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

so you think if i tried to toss like 4 type Rs on like 500watts or so RMS it would be pretty good?

if u mean 500 wrms a piece then yes it would wang

if u mean 500 wrms between the 4 subs then that wouldnt work very well. way too little power

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

aight cool, i mean, i dont plan on actually being a groundpounder, but thats what i plan on going for when i get a new car, this EXT ranger doesnt have much room = ( figured i could try to toss 4 12s back there and get some decent sounds. i just want to be louder than my friend who wasted 3500 for 2 12w3's in the trunk of his 05' grand prix

• 2 weeks later...

damn, $3500 for two $250 subs installed is crazy. Must have a big amp and super custom box

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

Haha. well, definately a shitty 200$ prefab box but yes 3500$ total for his system (also includes like a weak 100$ HU and some wal mart style highs and mids. they did him bogus but thats what he gets for knowing nothing about car audio and takes the first thing offered to him. L2Research IMO