Killing batteries please help!!

I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum and I am on my third starting battery in 3 months.  Just got a new battery thru warranty and doubt they will give me another if I fry this one.  My system consists of a Pioneer dvd head unit, all speakers replaced with Memphis coaxial's running off of factory amplifier.  Sub stage is an Skar EVL 15 powered by a Skar RP1500.  Electrical is a 160 amp Carquest alternator (recently replaced) powering a X2 Power group 94 (made by Northstar) starting battery and a XS Power XP750 wired together powering the amp.  Big three is done including 1/0 Sky High CCA from the alternator to the back of the car where the battery is.  Car also already has a 2 gauge cable ran from the alt to the battery stock since it's such a long run.  I have fried two of the X2 Power batteries somehow but the small XS battery hasn't been affected.  Had both failed batteries checked and the voltage would be good but the cca would be so low it wouldn't start the car unless hooked to the xs battery.  At full tilt the voltage will drop to around 12.2 and at night the lights will dim slightly.  Can't see why my current electrical can't keep up with this small system.  Anybody have an idea of what is going on?  I have checked and rechecked all connections and grounds and am at a loss for what to do next.  I have ran more powerful setups on pretty much stock electrical in other cars and have never had this problem.  Sorry for the longwinded post and thanks for any help.

20180411_172845(0).jpg

What's the voltage when at idled? It should be above 13V or so. I recently replaced an alternator on a 2006 Chrysler TC because the alternator was not charging at all.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

It is entirely possible to get an alternator off the shelf that fails immediately. Especially remanufactured ones.  Get it tested to eliminate it as the culprit.  Autozone will do it for free if you bring it to them.

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Could be the load your placing on the alt causing it to shit out. Like it wont hold charging amperage under a load.

Alsi im unfamiliar with the brand of alt your using. Offbrand alts can sometimes be scams. There are some that put out less than stock. When buying a new alt buy oem or a trusted proven brand.

IMHO, for that board,... you dont need a HO alt, in fact, if your wired at 1ohm, you shouldnt even need a second batt.  Its odd, how one batt, is shitting the bed, the other is ok. That front bat, your running, is a rebadged NORTHSTAR, which, from what ive seen, is a damn fine maker of bats......

Hmmmmmmmm.......  Could you fill me in, on your wiring. 2 gauge, from alt to primary bat, then it looks like something close to 1/0 from primary to secondary ?  If both bats are in fact hooked up, and it the rig does start with the xs (secondary) hooked up, how do you know the front bat is shitting out on you?? what makes you think, or how do you know, the front (primary) is shitting out?  Just because your voltage is shit, and you have it tested ? Lil more info boss,... well all try and help, because something does seem a lil fubar

29 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

IMHO, for that board,... you dont need a HO alt, in fact, if your wired at 1ohm, you shouldnt even need a second batt.  Its odd, how one batt, is shitting the bed, the other is ok. That front bat, your running, is a rebadged NORTHSTAR, which, from what ive seen, is a damn fine maker of bats......

Hmmmmmmmm.......  Could you fill me in, on your wiring. 2 gauge, from alt to primary bat, then it looks like something close to 1/0 from primary to secondary ?  If both bats are in fact hooked up, and it the rig does start with the xs (secondary) hooked up, how do you know the front bat is shitting out on you?? what makes you think, or how do you know, the front (primary) is shitting out?  Just because your voltage is shit, and you have it tested ? Lil more info boss,... well all try and help, because something does seem a lil fubar

Thanks for all the quick reply's guys.

I am wired at 1 ohm.  The stock battery is in the back under a false floor.  I am running Sky High 1/0 all the way from the alternator in the front to the back as well as the stock 2 gauge wire.  This run is about 17 feet fused on both ends.   I have the alternator case grounded to the chassis with 1/0 and have 1/0 for my three grounds to the battery.  Two in the stock location and one running to a bolt under the rear seat (probably overkill).  From the primary to the secondary battery is 4 gauge XS Power wire then over to the amp.

I can tell there is something wrong when the batteries go because the car becomes hard to start.  When I pull the fuse from the primary to the secondary the car won't start.  Both times I have charged the battery and it will hold good voltage but still won't start the car.  At that point I pull it out and take it to Batteries plus to have them test it.  The first bad one had 300 cca amps of the 840 it's supposed to have and the second only had 6 lol.  Both times this has happened the morning after I was beating on the system pretty good.  One other thing not sure if it's related but while playing full tilt I can feel the alt pull the engine down on some hard hitting bass when driving (the stock alt did this to and is one of the reasons I replaced it).  This can be pretty annoying and have never had a car do this.  At this point I'm afraid to turn the system up and kill another battery.  Let me know if you need anymore info

Perhaps you have some sort of electrical 'leak' in the system?  This assumes that the alternator is still good.  If I understand the Dodge system properly, you have a stock run of about 2 gauge cable from the alternator / engine area all the way to the trunk where you have the two batteries and your audio gear.  Maybe you should consider running another line of 1/0 gauge from the front to the back?  Car makers are not known for using the best wire and that 2 gauge may be corroded inside, out of obvious view...adding resistance to the run that may be overworking your alternator and not charging the starter battery as it should.  Being unfamiliar with the Dodge battery-in-the-trunk system, how does power get from the rear battery to the starter?  Maybe you should check that run too?  Just throwing some ideas out... 

Should have bought a Charger!..so it would actually charge!  ;)

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived