Second Skin Audio

2 Skar Audio 12's ported in common chamber, help?

On 7/31/2018 at 4:02 PM, mathewyocham said:

Do you have a terminal cup on your box for your speakers to hook up to? If so somthing there could be loose causing an issue. Especially if its a cheap spade connector one. I may have missed u saying it but have you pulled the woofers and powered each outside the box on moderate volume to listen for noise? Hook each one strait to the amp wen u do it to eliminate noise from a loose connection. How long have u had the woofers? You could possibly warranty them if one has started failing. If one did fail it makes me wonder y. How did you set gains? Use bass knob? Hu settings?

I have not powered each subwoofer outside of the box, I will try that today as well...I have no terminal cups in my enclosure, I drilled two holes into the enclosure for 8g wire and connected that way so there is not another connection to fail. Skar did get back to me and say that I should not be jumper wiring the two speakers or the 4 voice coils together, but all 4 coils should have equal length wire going to them...so should I run two additional wires from the other + and - thats not being used and separate the speakers so I have equal length wiring? Should I be running a distribution block inside the enclosure and running all the voice coils wires to that versus jumping from one to the other? 

Skar is also saying that if anything is wrong, its more than likely the amp and not the subs...can the amp cause that crackling noise? 

I took the vehicle to a professional who checked and set the gains.... I wasn't off by much but I know now that its set correctly. I do not have the bass knob installed, I control the subwoofer from the HU now. 

Im going to power each sub outside the box and try to see if I can recreate that noise, hopefully without damaging anything further. Its just got me baffled because it doesn't make this noise consistently...I can't pinpoint a level setting, a frequency, a song, that causes it...its super random and its not like a voice coil bottoming sound. Maybe today I will find the culprit! Thanks for the help so far everyone! 

If your amp has 2 outputs id wire a woofer to each one. So wire each to a 2 ohm load on each output and the amp will see a 1 ohm load. Did the shop you used use a dd1 or oscope? If not your gains arent properly set wich can cause issues. Just be sure wen you remove the woofers too check that you dont go full blast. Moderate volume should be all you need. A lil over half. Maybe 3/4 volume tops. 

I didn't read every word here but IF it's just the box I'll add that I've come to really prefer symetrical boxes as JoeX suggested.

The only time I would consider a side port for a multiple woofer system is for pure SPL metering if that's what works best in that car, or if there's serious lack of airpace available. For daily and music I do center port!

But also, some woofers hande this better than others.

Archived