Help! When playing at high volume bass seems to weaken. Comes back full power when lowered few mins later.

Hey guys don't know where to turn. I currently have installed a Rockford Fosgate T-600-4 pushing alpine type r 6x9 and a JL- Audio 1000/1 pushing a JL 12w7. Hooked to factory radio with LC7i. I also have an Xs Prower 3400 secondary battery but when im pushing my system at high volume i lose the bass. I would lower the volume the bass would sound but not at the normal volume but would come back to normal volume gradually. I spoke with my buddy and he said lack of power... but i was thinking that maybe when i hooked my amps i grounded the sub amp to the Xs Power 3400. Really need some help figuring wtf is going on any advice would really help.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a volt meter to watch your voltage when you lose bass? If so where is it hooked up into? Directly to the rear batt? Input of one of the amps etc?

You should ground your amps relatively close together, trying to use the same connection point to avoid ground loops. In saying that, I have my two amps grounded to two different locations without any problems so I'm curious what's mucking your system up.

Check all your RCA connections to make sure they are all seated properly and none are loose. 

Check all your filters and crossover settings making sure they are set for your system properly. 

Hopefully it's something of an oversight and not a problem with one of the pieces of equipment. Good luck man!

17 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Do you have a volt meter to watch your voltage when you lose bass? If so where is it hooked up into? Directly to the rear batt? Input of one of the amps etc?

You should ground your amps relatively close together, trying to use the same connection point to avoid ground loops. In saying that, I have my two amps grounded to two different locations without any problems so I'm curious what's mucking your system up.

Check all your RCA connections to make sure they are all seated properly and none are loose. 

Check all your filters and crossover settings making sure they are set for your system properly. 

Hopefully it's something of an oversight and not a problem with one of the pieces of equipment. Good luck man!

Just ordered a volt meter on amazon and an Xs big 3 Kit.... Also going to ground the sub amp to the body and not the Xs Power battery. Hope that works... Keep you posted and thanks for the tips.

Your friend was correct. Grounding to the xs batt will not hurt as long as the batt is grounded correctly. Doing big 3 should help some. Wat gauge wire are you using? How did you set your gains? Bass boost? What vehicle is this in? Stock alt? Alt amperage?

1 hour ago, mathewyocham said:

Your friend was correct. Grounding to the xs batt will not hurt as long as the batt is grounded correctly. Doing big 3 should help some. Wat gauge wire are you using? How did you set your gains? Bass boost? What vehicle is this in? Stock alt? Alt amperage?

I was checking just now and noticed my sub wires are 14 gauge..... can this be a factor? 

1 hour ago, DiGawd said:

I was checking just now and noticed my sub wires are 14 gauge..... can this be a factor? 

Possibly. You could just buy some 12/10 gauge and see if it fixes the problem. If you plan on upgrading your sub amp in the future buy 10 gauge and re-use it for your next install. 

10 gauge is minimum id use on 1k rms. Using undersized wire can cause the wire to heat up over time and may be causing a issue. Id replace it 4 sure. It could melt thru and short possibly damaging your woofer or your amp. The rest of your electrical sounds good. Just check 4 any loose connections.

I would check all connections again and make sure that they are tight. I would do a test first though, do a hard jam session and when the power seems to drop check all power connections for excessive heat, i'm kind of leaning on a weak connection and the system is draining your bats and after a few they recover again. Most likely either up front on the F/R run or at the back battery, but one of them or both might cause your problem, but a simple test by touching the connection will tell you if there is excessive heat.

Caution: Hold your hand just above the connection for a second or two to make sure it isn't so hot you get a burn.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

16 hours ago, Skullz said:

I would check all connections again and make sure that they are tight. I would do a test first though, do a hard jam session and when the power seems to drop check all power connections for excessive heat, i'm kind of leaning on a weak connection and the system is draining your bats and after a few they recover again. Most likely either up front on the F/R run or at the back battery, but one of them or both might cause your problem, but a simple test by touching the connection will tell you if there is excessive heat.

Caution: Hold your hand just above the connection for a second or two to make sure it isn't so hot you get a burn.

I went ahead and picked up a volt meter..... while car is running I’m getting reading of 12.5 to 13.3.... so I went and popped the hood and noticed that the wire running back is a 4 gauge wire hooked on to a 200 amp fuse that splits 2 ways... 0 gauge to the back battery and another 0 gauge to the distribution block that splits in to two 4 gauge wires to both amps 

Archived