Second Skin Audio

AA havoc or Fi ssd neo in sealed enclosure

Crandolph

Hello I'm trying to decide between ssd neo or havoc for a sealed enclosure. Amp is an Orion xtr 2500.1dz.

Looks like ssd is on sale right now and quite a bit cheaper which is nice but that doesn't make any difference to me if the havoc performs better sealed.

I have read good things about havocs sealed in the past but that was years ago and idk if the sub has changed.

its going into a 2004 wrx and will be firing forward through arm rest hole in back seat. 

other suggestions are welcome. I think sealed would be best though since I listen to mostly electronic music. 60% all kinds of edm 35% rap and 5% "other" lol.

8 hours ago, Crandolph said:

other suggestions are welcome. I think sealed would be best though since I listen to mostly electronic music. 60% all kinds of edm 35% rap and 5% "other" lol.

If these are your preferred types of music....you need to go ported.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

I was always under the impression that electronic music preferred sealed? Either way in def going sealed FIRST because I can build a sealed box fast and easy while I'm working on the ported design. Honestly I was planning on trying ported eventually but I think it's gonna be some trial and error because I'm pretty particular when it comes to bass accuracy

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qUkhBZNXLSY/learn/sealed-or-ported-subwoofer-enclosures.html

Feel free to read the whole article but I'd start at "Which sub enclosure do you prefer with different kinds of music?"

Notice where they vote on which enclosure sounds best for each type of music.....it's clear most preferred ported for rap and EDM.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Unfortunately Crutchfield is repeating many of the common misconceptions about box types.  To say that sealed boxes sound "tighter" or "more accurate" and ported boxes sound "boomy" or "muddy" is an overgeneralization.  Sealed boxes can sound boomy and muddy and ported boxes can sound very tight and accurate.  It all depends on how they are designed, how they work with the sub being used, and the environment they are being used in.  Different kinds of music don't prefer one box type or the other, though different music type require different amounts of low frequency extension to be able to produce the full range of content.  How you get the required amount of low frequency extension can be very dependant on box type.  

Crutchfield does get one thing right, ported boxes are more efficient (and thus louder) at producing low frequencies near where they are tuned.  Many people, especially around this site, prefer as much low frequency output as they can get, which is why you mostly see ported boxes used, regardless of what type of music people are listening to.  That doesn't mean ported box is the only way to go though.  You have to decide what your listening requirements are for yourself.  We can then give you recommendations.  

As far as using the subs you mentioned in a sealed box, neither is going to be particularly great in their stock form.  Both have a high EBP, which is going to make their low frequency output roll off pretty high.  Its going to be hard to get low with them.  If you decide that a sealed enclosure is the way you want to go, I would suggest calling Fi and tell them what you want to do.  They can custom build a SSD Neo to fits your needs and to perform best in a sealed enclosure.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

5 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Unfortunately Crutchfield is repeating many of the common misconceptions about box types.

This is why I was trying to get him to skip the first little bit.....lol.

I just think it highlights the fact that MOST people prefer a ported enclosure for the types of music he said he listens to.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Do you know of any subs that perform well sealed and ported? Like I said I'm going to build sealed first because I can do that easily and then start experimenting with ported boxes

7 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

As far as using the subs you mentioned in a sealed box, neither is going to be particularly great in their stock form.  Both have a high EBP, which is going to make their low frequency output roll off pretty high.  Its going to be hard to get low with them.  

13 minutes ago, Crandolph said:

Do you know of any subs that perform well sealed and ported? Like I said I'm going to build sealed first because I can do that easily and then start experimenting with ported boxes

Hst-12 MKII = EBP-51 

AA Havoc 12 = EBP-71

FI Q neo 12 = EBP-81

Would not get the HST if you plan on porting it but fwiw, its a pretty impressive and flat playing driver in tiny sealed boxes.

Archived