Xs battery d3100(trunk battery)

Im confused and new to big audio systems im gonna be running a skar rp4500 1.d i dont know what size fuses to use and how many fuses to use i have one by the starter battery one before the second battery and one in between the amp and second battery could anyone help me out with some more info please

Man that's alotta current in order to fully power a 4500 W amp lol.

I ballparked like this:

4500 W and 75% efficiency = 6000 W

6000 W / 14.4 V = 417 A

I'm really not sure if you should do double conductors and fuse each at 250 A, or single conductor fused at 500 A. There's no "417 A ANL Fuse" though. If you're running full tilt your voltage will drop faster though and start to bring you closer to that 500 A, so I think fusing to that would make sense. Someone else can chime in though, I haven't built a system that big either.

You got the fuse locations correct, one at the front battery output, one at the back battery input, and one inline with your amp. BUT you probably want to run a high output alt to help take current load off the batteries, and then you'd need to do the big-3 and fuse the alternator positive to battery positive line. That fuse would be a bit bigger than your alternator's current rating.

Ah wait a sec...with the alt and both batts all in parallel, they will share the current load to the amp, so will not be doing the full current each. Your alt will do whatever it's rated for, fuse it for that as noted. Each battery will share the remaining current load, so take however much current is left after the alternator, divide that by two, and fuse each battery for that plus some extra to give it a little headroom.

Pros please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, josephj86 said:

Im confused and new to big audio systems im gonna be running a skar rp4500 1.d i dont know what size fuses to use and how many fuses to use i have one by the starter battery one before the second battery and one in between the amp and second battery could anyone help me out with some more info please

The way you have it ran is correct. Fuse to wire sz. If you're running 1/0 gauge just throw a 300 amp a foot away from both batteries. You'll need to fuse the amp according to the manual ( probably 400-450 amp fuse). if your amplifier has a single power and single ground use a dual 1/0 input adapter and put a 200-250 amp fuse per 1/0 gauge positive. Same if the amp has dual inputs already. Grab another d3100 also. 

Archived