Second Skin Audio

Box help for American Bass XFl 10

WilliG

Long story short I dug a good box for 4 10s out of the trash,I want to cut the top off and the end to turn this box into what I need. I looked at many online volume calculators and cannot find what I need. I would like to plug in my numbers and it tell me what lengths I need to cut,and trying to calculate the right port I need is another fiasco to me.The box now is 45x12x12.My subs require around 1.5 per. I want to use an aeroport and tune it in the 32hz range, I am a moron but there are some really smart people here so can anyone ballpark me some numbers,I want to learn how to do this. build my own box,I just want it close and pride of knowing I built it..I will be pairing these AB XFL 10s with an skar rp2000@1 ohm if that matters.Any help or point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks,I think I'm going to cut the last chamber off and make a new faceplate to mount the subs.Now just have to figure out if I want to divide so each has it's own chamber or just leave it open with the 6" round port. Just get it close and play with the port until o like the sound..worse comes to worse I'll have a box built by a pro

To be honest if you cut  your 45x12x12 box further, each of the two subs will probably get below 1 cubic feet net, to be able to tell you the length of the port I would need the new external dimensions of the box.

In my opinion the best thing to do is to build a new box that is custom designed for your subs and vehicle, now if you just want try your stuff right away then go ahead and do it properly later on.

Thanks Joe,you have been helpful...New dimensions 35×12×12 ..which comes out to 2.91 if I did it right.The subs work anywhere between 1.25 and as big as 2cu per sub.The 2 subs will share the chamber,I'm not dividing and loose anymore volume.Just temporary,I'll have one built but I wanted to try my hand at a ported box. They will be going in a 08 Cobalt SS.You mentioned the 6" aeroport I was trying to ballpark length but I dont think 22" long seems right

1 hour ago, WilliG said:

Thanks Joe,you have been helpful...New dimensions 35×12×12 ..which comes out to 2.91 if I did it right.The subs work anywhere between 1.25 and as big as 2cu per sub.The 2 subs will share the chamber,I'm not dividing and loose anymore volume.Just temporary,I'll have one built but I wanted to try my hand at a ported box. They will be going in a 08 Cobalt SS.You mentioned the 6" aeroport I was trying to ballpark length but I dont think 22" long seems right

2.91 is the external volume, what you want is the internal net airspace, as you can see from the above screenshot posted for you the gross internal volume is only 2.14 cubic feet, if you take away the displacement of the subs and port it falls below 2 cubic feet or less than 1 cubic feet net per driver.

On that new box size you would get using the 6" port 22 long  a spec of 1.5  cubic feet net tuned to 43Hz, that is 0.75 cubic feet per driver. Those box specs wouldn't be any good for you.

Gotcha I understand....Say I take off the front panel,make me a new faceplate for 2 10s instead of 4,remove the chamber dividers and use box as is...Original measurement 45×12×12...What port length would I need is I use the 6" aeroport  to get tuning 30-32 hertz..This is just my winter beater system I'm doing on the cheap

Archived