Second Skin Audio

What To Use On Box?

i built my box a bit ago and i still havent finished it so im gonna go get what i need and do it today

i was thinking like roll on truck bed liner... anyone use any specific kind and have good results?

give me clean cheap ways of doing this

this is the box

12W6v2067.jpg

15" LMS Ultra

AB VFL 200.1 3kw+ rms@ 1 ohm <-- 500.1 in near furture

3.5 cubes at 34 hertz

2 Exide Orbital's

200 Amp EA Alt

125 sq ft BXT

I am in the same boat, with the same question....A local bedliner shop charges ~$400 to do a truck bed, and won't give me a quote on my wall until they see it in person, and said they may not be able to do it at all since it is in the car, or will charge more. You can definately get yours done if it is removed from the car.

I searched the internet and found several roll on liners are available for much cheaper, but I guess they are not as good as spray on. I know the roll on will not get as thick as the spray on, but I guess you can do several coats. Walmart sells the gallon size can in black only. I would try that, but I want gray.

Last night at Lowes, I came accross some kits for surfacing a garage floor, in various colors, about $65, some sort of epoxy, but I don't know if they can be done on MDF, as they are designed to adhere to concrete floor.

If paint becomes a last resort, I guess fleckstone is there, and I also use a Ralph Lauren brand house paint called River Rock, it's really nice. I used it on my center channel ring (pic), and a sub box in the past, they sell it at lowes and you can get it to match your interior color. It's kinda like sandpaper finish.

2270404_138.jpg

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

I am in the same boat, with the same question....A local bedliner shop charges ~$400 to do a truck bed, and won't give me a quote on my wall until they see it in person, and said they may not be able to do it at all since it is in the car, or will charge more. You can definately get yours done if it is removed from the car.

I searched the internet and found several roll on liners are available for much cheaper, but I guess they are not as good as spray on. I know the roll on will not get as thick as the spray on, but I guess you can do several coats. Walmart sells the gallon size can in black only. I would try that, but I want gray.

Last night at Lowes, I came accross some kits for surfacing a garage floor, in various colors, about $65, some sort of epoxy, but I don't know if they can be done on MDF, as they are designed to adhere to concrete floor.

If paint becomes a last resort, I guess fleckstone is there, and I also use a Ralph Lauren brand house paint called River Rock, it's really nice. I used it on my center channel ring (pic), and a sub box in the past, they sell it at lowes and you can get it to match your interior color. It's kinda like sandpaper finish.

2270404_138.jpg

walmart sell the black paint truck bed liner kit for 42 bucks, the paint for like 25 a gal i think and the spray paint for 8 bucks each

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

If your going to paint the box yourself I would suggest useing a wood filler to fill in all those little lines from the sheets of mdf. Then sanding and painting then possibly. I always carpeted it. Looks better anyway in my opinion.

OK, I experimented with the stuff from Walmart, it is Plastikote brand bedliiner, I tried the spray and the $42 roll on kit.

Keep in mind, that I did this inside my under construction wall, inside my car, so It will never be visible anyway.

The spary can works pretty good, goes on thicker than the roll on and obviously smoother. I tried it on an aluminum foot rest, and decided against spraying it in the car so I would not have to cover everthing in masking tape and plastic.

As for the roll on. I would not use to for a finish, it really is no different than paint with a little grit to it. Nothing like the stuff Steve used in the Escalade, if that is the result you are looking for.

I can't vouch for the more expensive roll on stuff, like Durabak or others. I think Durbak roll on is about $100 for a can, and I have a sample of it, its really thin, but has larger grit to it.

The sample that I have from superliner, like the stuff Steve sprays on his, but a different brand, is about 1/8" thick and very flexible.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Archived