Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer box way too small

Skarbo98

Hey guys! New to the forum but i have been lurking around for a long while :) 

i now have a GZPW Limited 555 12" subwoofer that have a 80L ported box reccomended, but my box is only 50L and the subwoofer can barely fit inside the box..😅

The subwoofer is not happy with the box.. 

Any tips? Will it help to turn my subwoofer around and mount it with the magnet outside of the box?

Mounting a sub inverted or magnet out is only used to give the box some more net volume since the displacements of the sub and magnets etc. will no longer be taken away from the net volume

its possible you may need a new box entirely. From my understanding a box within spec allows for rated power while a larger than spec box needs less power and a smaller than spec box needs more power 

also the sub should have some room behind it to perform properly, how much depends on the sub

so in short try it mounted inverted and see if that helps if not get a bigger box

also is this 50L box Ported or sealed ? Sealed volume specs on subs are often smaller than ported.

5 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Mounting a sub inverted or magnet out is only used to give the box some more net volume since the displacements of the sub and magnets etc. will no longer be taken away from the net volume

its possible you may need a new box entirely. From my understanding a box within spec allows for rated power while a larger than spec box needs less power and a smaller than spec box needs more power 

also the sub should have some room behind it to perform properly, how much depends on the sub

so in short try it mounted inverted and see if that helps if not get a bigger box

also is this 50L box Ported or sealed ? Sealed volume specs on subs are often smaller than ported.

Thank you for the response :) the 50L box is with a 4" port :)

i just bought a new car (BMW e87) and my old box was WAY too big for the little trunk. So i just bought a box thinking it was ok. I'm thinking of building a new box

Depending on how much power you are running a single 4" port is WAY too little port area for a 12" sub.   I'd suggest building a new box that is the proper specs for your sub.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

35 minutes ago, Skarbo98 said:

Pushing it with 5k @1ohm

Yeah, a single 4" port is way, WAY too small for the power you are running.  A 4" port would be appropriate up to about 350 watts, not 5K.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Yeah, a single 4" port is way, WAY too small for the power you are running.  A 4" port would be appropriate up to about 350 watts, not 5K.  

Haha shit okay

Any recomendations? Have no clue about the box design or anything.. and the amp is HUGE + i have a extra battery i need to fit in the trunk..

Any help is apriciated!

5 hours ago, k58.cross said:

That is an insane sub man. 3 kW rms right? 50 liters is only 1.77 cubic feet, wayyyyy too small for that kind of power. Custom box build definitely. You might want like 3 extra batteries...

Research your butt off and do this build properly, that's a lot of power to be playing around with.

Thanks :D i have a 98ah battery, and i have a 370A stinger alternator laying around that i will consider to hook up if needed.

yeah 3kw rms, but i'm giving it 5k atm! Thinking if it blows i'll just buy the gzpw 12spl ;)

You know anyone who can make a drawing of a box for me?.. i am clueless on those programs😅

Archived