Second Skin Audio

Need some guidance choosing sundown subs.

JoshN

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum. Here’s what I’m working with currently, I am running a JLw7 13.5 in a spec box on a JL rd1500/1 amp wired to 1000 watts @3 ohms. I have to keep one of my rear 60/40 split benches in my 2018 dodge mega cab folded down to fit the box. I’m looking to utilize the large space behind the seat for a new enclosure but am coming up with to many conflicting ideas on how to achieve maximum output. I would like to have something as good or better to what I am running now as far as bass output. Here’s what I have come up with I am looking at using Sundown drivers. I have room to build a ported box for multiple sundown x8’s, 2 down firing zv5 10’s, 2 forward firing u series 12’s or 1 SA-15. I am looking for the most output from the space. Maximum mounting depth is my main constraint. Forward firing the diameter I can use is between 8”-15” with a max mounting depth of around 7.75 inches. Down firing is not limited on depth but diameter of the sub becomes limited to 8”-10”. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My demensions behind the seat are 59L x 24H x 12wbottom 6Wtop. This is not intended to be a vs. thread or an opportunity to bash JL just need some help from someone experienced with Sundown. Thank you guys

Man you have options with that space! With 59x24x6&12 wedge gives a decent sz enclosure. I'd personally go forward firing with port to the side myself with 2 U series 12s for the loudest possible setup out of everything you listed. You'll be pounding!! Are you upgrading power also? If so you're golden. You're easily good for a true 3500 watts RMS with the U series 12s. I have experience with every series you listed and currently own all except SA series at the moment. 

58x24x6 top 12 bottom 

2 6" aero ports 24" long firing to the side. 

¾ material ( Baltic Birch) with a single 1" front baffle. 

13in² port area per foot for 4.30ft³ and 34 hz tuning before bracing. 

2 U series 12 pounding!! 

Just a thought. Box specs are accurate

Thank you so much. I made my mind up last night on the u series. I’m new to the larger wattage systems. My truck is a new diesel so it has 2 large batteries up front. My plans are to upgrade the alt from 180 amps to a 320 mechman and add a 3rd battery (Xs 3400). Two runs of 0/1 from a power distribution block connecting the alt and two batteries at the front to the rear battery. I also have a 10 farad Rockford capacitor. I might do away with the capacitor. Do you feel this will be adequate power for a 4K-5k amp? I’m thinking sundown or dc for the amp. 

17 hours ago, JoshN said:

Thank you so much. I made my mind up last night on the u series. I’m new to the larger wattage systems. My truck is a new diesel so it has 2 large batteries up front. My plans are to upgrade the alt from 180 amps to a 320 mechman and add a 3rd battery (Xs 3400). Two runs of 0/1 from a power distribution block connecting the alt and two batteries at the front to the rear battery. I also have a 10 farad Rockford capacitor. I might do away with the capacitor. Do you feel this will be adequate power for a 4K-5k amp? I’m thinking sundown or dc for the amp. 

320 amp mechman and 3 AGM batteries and you're solid. Replace the starter batteries with AGMs and add a nice d3100 in the back and you'll be solid! Either amp brand would be great. I personally would match if possible. DC amp on DC subs and vice versa. I'm ocd tho lol. My deaf bonce amps on sundown subs bugs the shit outta me lol. Oh well

• 1 month later...

Thanks again for your guidance. I finished the build. I went with the 2 u series 12’s. I had to make some minor adjustments on the box demensions to fit it right but ended up with a lot more internal air space than I originally thought was possible (4.9 after displacements and bracing) I went with the scv 4000 amp, XS 3100 for the rear did the “big 6” up front for the two front batteries. I scrapped the capacitor and installed the 2 6” aeroprts from big ass ports. Added all SMD fuse blocks and distribution blocks. Sky high OFC 0/1 and all sky high copper terminal rings as well as the dual 0/1 input adapters for the amp. Added the mechman 320... my voltage is the same at idle with the system full tilt as when im cruising with it off. Tuned her up with an oscilloscope and holy crap you weren’t joking when you said pounding. It’s throwing everything out of my cup holders and off my dash. WOW. I’m raptor lining the box when I have some free time. Again thank you. Oh I tuned it to 30.5 hz this gets low

Archived