Charging car battery all the time?

On 3/25/2019 at 3:51 PM, DiBo said:

Definitely not a once-a-week thing. Maybe once a year

On 3/25/2019 at 3:51 PM, DiBo said:

Definitely not a once-a-week thing. Maybe once a year

Explain 

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

I'd plug mine in every time it was parked.

I also didn't have my alternator charge voltage cranked to the limit.

10 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

I'd plug mine in every time it was parked.

I also didn't have my alternator charge voltage cranked to the limit.

Why was the guy saying he doesn't desulphate/ recondition the batteries once a week?

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

i keep the bmw on a smart charer because i dont rive t very often and like to keep the batery topped off. 

I dont ever "recondition" my batteries. My g34 AGM's are like 6 years old and doing fine. I probably just jynxed myself lol

4 hours ago, BassMunky said:

Why was the guy saying he doesn't desulphate/ recondition the batteries once a week?

No need to. Charge resistant lead sulfate crystals form over months/years, not days. They only form when the battery is in a discharged state. Top your batteries off and it's a non issue.

You can tell you have them because your fully charged resting voltage will be lower than expected. Couple deep discharge/charge cycles will help bring you back to where you should be.

2 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

No need to. Charge resistant lead sulfate crystals form over months/years, not days. They only form when the battery is in a discharged state. Top your batteries off and it's a non issue.

You can tell you have them because your fully charged resting voltage will be lower than expected. Couple deep discharge/charge cycles will help bring you back to where you should be.

Couple more questions how much after vehicle off check rest voltage? What be considered bad?

46 minutes ago, BassMunky said:

Couple more questions how much after vehicle off check rest voltage? What be considered bad?

Disconnect batteries. Car has electronical bits in there that make it tough to get a true no load reading.

Charge them, disconnect charger, then check after sitting over night.

I'm assuming you have AGM batts? Should be in the 13.0-13.1v range. Flooded (i.e. normal) would be 12.7-12.8v. No experience with gel cells.

If they're lower than that, turn on your headlights or something until voltage dips to 11.5v, then toss them immediately on the charger until full. Should bring ya up.

Big huge caveat: This really only checks the condition/concentration of the electrolyte. Resting voltage will NOT check the condition of your plates. To do that, you need a load test.

14 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

Disconnect batteries. Car has electronical bits in there that make it tough to get a true no load reading.

Charge them, disconnect charger, then check after sitting over night.

I'm assuming you have AGM batts? Should be in the 13.0-13.1v range. Flooded (i.e. normal) would be 12.7-12.8v. No experience with gel cells.

If they're lower than that, turn on your headlights or something until voltage dips to 11.5v, then toss them immediately on the charger until full. Should bring ya up.

Big huge caveat: This really only checks the condition/concentration of the electrolyte. Resting voltage will NOT check the condition of your plates. To do that, you need a load test.

Great info mahalo

Archived