Jump to content
 
 

image91

Is it worth it switching from an Xv.2 15 to a Zv.5 or NSv.4 12?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, image91 said:

Going to possibly see the Hcca 5000.1 today but i know for a fact i don't have the current for it & probably won't. Never intended on running over one battery much less for two. But we all know how that goes O_o

Will it make sense using the NSv4 with the Hcca 3000.1 or even Sundown 3000.1? Or would the Zv5 perform better on that power? Want something that i don't have to worry about getting hot after two to three songs preferably. If the NSv4 12 @ 3000 wrms will come close to, equal or outperform the Xv2 15 @ 2500 wrms then i'll seriously consider it. Part of me wants to shell out the extra for the NSv4 15 but i know i'll end up with the same "i have no trunk & the back of my wagon is dropped while the front is not" uncomfortable feeling. lol. Hence why i want to switch to a 12 if possible.

@kalilac619 Not sure if you meant at the end that the NSv4 is 46% stronger than the Zv5 so it would be louder "15 to 12" swap?

& can anyone at all give me any reasons to go with the Sundown amps over the Orion? (Trying to sneak this in here because it's hard making this decision on my own due to lack of available information online)

If you're only planning on running one or two batteries Max stick with the X15 for efficiency. Or go with lithium titanate. You're looking to clamp 3k with the bare minimal and the nsv4 is a more SPL oriented sub with the stiffer spider pack and you'll definitely notice a musical difference. The Orion amps are good but not very efficient. Sundown amps are higher quality (scv line at least) than the Orion amps. For starters... 1) thicker heat sink. 2) clip detectors.3) more efficient. 4) no plastic end caps). 5) run cooler ( heat sink & efficiency combined). But the Orion hcca line is better imo than the SAE line ( Korean vs Chinese). 

You're not going to have enough electrical or power to run a hcca 5k as they are really like 6k boards. To run a 6k you'd need minimal 270 amp alt and at least 45ah lithium ( 4 group 31 batteries). A hcca 3k on an [email protected] ohm or a Zv5 on an hcca @.5 would be good. Stick with a 15 for single sub setup. X series handles every bit of 2k RMS. They're musical also if you tune correctly. At the end of the day ask yourself what you truly want... Numbers? Music? Lows? Wide bandwidth? It's all about application and you're striving for. What you want is out there but remember there are trade offs. Figure out what you can live with and what you wouldn't want to live with, or what you really want and what you don't really care for, and go from there.

  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, image91 said:

Going to possibly see the Hcca 5000.1 today but i know for a fact i don't have the current for it & probably won't. Never intended on running over one battery much less for two. But we all know how that goes O_o

Will it make sense using the NSv4 with the Hcca 3000.1 or even Sundown 3000.1? Or would the Zv5 perform better on that power? Want something that i don't have to worry about getting hot after two to three songs preferably. If the NSv4 12 @ 3000 wrms will come close to, equal or outperform the Xv2 15 @ 2500 wrms then i'll seriously consider it. Part of me wants to shell out the extra for the NSv4 15 but i know i'll end up with the same "i have no trunk & the back of my wagon is dropped while the front is not" uncomfortable feeling. lol. Hence why i want to switch to a 12 if possible.

@kalilac619 Not sure if you meant at the end that the NSv4 is 46% stronger than the Zv5 so it would be louder "15 to 12" swap?

& can anyone at all give me any reasons to go with the Sundown amps over the Orion? (Trying to sneak this in here because it's hard making this decision on my own due to lack of available information online)

The NSv4 line has 46% more motor force over the Zv5...so a NSv4 12 would be louder than a Zv5 15....would it be audible to the ear? Probably not but would definitely show up on the meter 

  • Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

2002 trailblazer 4 runs of 1/0

 4 beyma pro6wnd per door.2 Sundown Sa v2 tweets and 2 Beyma 3in full range in the dash

14 banks of blue Maxwells, 

Dual Singer large case 370 hairpins 

mids amps dual RF 1000-4ad's

Precision power 2 channel for tweets

sub amp: 2 sundown SCV7500ds at .5 each 

Subs: 2 18in Sundown NSv4s in a 6th order

Dbdrag 156.5 @ 26hz 

Usaci 160.1 @ 36hz 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DiBo Will not bother with the Hcca 5000.1 even if it's a great deal. i've seen a fair amount of posts/videos showing the SAE series outperforming the SCV series & a lot of people not very happy about it. Is it that the SAE series would definitely not be a wise choice over the Hcca? Doesn't it still have similar advantages over the Orion in terms of quality, efficiency, heat handling etc?

Would a 76AH Northstar in front & a 105AH Norsthstar in back with full Sundown 0g double front to back run with a big 3 & a 240A MechMan be sufficient to clamp a clean 3k on bass? 

Will get everything else sorted out & decide on the sub last. Will hold on to my Xv2 15 for now because i'll go back & forth forever with theories. Deciding on amps is more important for now because i have a potential sale for my Xtr amps. 

Really appreciated all the replies so far folks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, image91 said:

How does your 18 handle the Hcca 5k bro? & also how does your voltage/current hold up? Will have a similar setup in terms of batteries & waiting on mechman 240A. i'm seeing a guy i dealt with before with an Hcca 5k for sale in pristine condition for less than the price i was getting the Hcca 3k for O_o So considering it. Especially since the 3k is out of stock atm.

Can’t tell you that yet sadly lol, amp will be here Monday, been saving and buying part by part for 8 months.  I can’t wait tell it’s all done.  Figured I’d do it right the first time and take and use all the advice I could.  

The build in my sig is after like 20 threads on this site lol.

Edited by Dragonsyph
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Orion 5000.1dV2

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, slowly but surely bro ;)

If i didn't have smaller systems for years now i'd probably have preferred taking your route. Sounds like the wait is gonna be well worth it!

My biggest question now is what to do with amps.

Decisions decisions.

Edited by image91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, image91 said:

@DiBo 

Would a 76AH Northstar in front & a 105AH Norsthstar in back with full Sundown 0g double front to back run with a big 3 & a 240A MechMan be sufficient to clamp a clean 3k on bass? 

 

Barely but yes. Watch your voltage and tune well and you'd be ok with that on a 3k. Not the Orion 3k tho... 5k amp lol. The sae 3k... Yes. Xtr2500.1 yes also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DiBo said:

Barely but yes. Watch your voltage and tune well and you'd be ok with that on a 3k. Not the Orion 3k tho... 5k amp lol. The sae 3k... Yes. Xtr2500.1 yes also. 

Okay so i shouldn't go with the HCCA line due to my current situation? Even if i dial it back to give me closer to 3k? (& nowhere near 5k? lol) 

Is it even worth moving from the Xtr line to the Sundown? The Xtr series so far gets pretty hot pretty quickly, too much so for my liking. Wondering if the HCCAs would maintain lower temperatures & be any more efficient.

& SAE vs SCV, any benefits? Because the SCV is a fair amount more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

If you do get the 5k hcca make sure to get the v2 model.

DiBo was making sense. Won't bother to go the 5k, have a feeling even running the 3k optimally will be cutting it close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, image91 said:

Okay so i shouldn't go with the HCCA line due to my current situation? Even if i dial it back to give me closer to 3k? (& nowhere near 5k? lol) 

Is it even worth moving from the Xtr line to the Sundown? The Xtr series so far gets pretty hot pretty quickly, too much so for my liking. Wondering if the HCCAs would maintain lower temperatures & be any more efficient.

& SAE vs SCV, any benefits? Because the SCV is a fair amount more expensive.

The SCV line is better than Orion. Your xtr gets so hot because is trying to drink a milkshake worth of electricity through an electrical coffee straw... Not enough juice. Those are true 3k amps and need to be fed. Smaller than desirable heat sinks also. Mine cooled off significantly when I got a 2nd group 31 battery and better starter battery. You're not gonna notice being louder until to gain about 2-3db and that takes a fair amount of upgrades from either more power or testing and tuning. It's not hard but it takes trial and error. I gained 1.5db going from the xtr 2500.1dz to a Wolfram W4500.1 then Apocalypse AAK-4000.1D. From 2 sundown sa 12's to U series 15 to zv5 15. From 1ohm to .5 ohm. I tried everything!! I got lower tho peaking at 46 to 31. 46 sounded phenomenal on music. 31 felt cooler lol. Moved more air. If you truly want louder try 2-U series 12's tuned to 33-34hz on a nice 4k or so. Cone area and efficiently will help. Trunk wall firing in sealed off to kill any cancellation. You'll notice a difference. 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...