Mixing Pro and 'sq' drivers + power matching?

MattDutts

So my plans have been to go for a mid point between sq and spl which has lead me to going for an active 3 way up front with dsp, both for tweak-ability and higher efficiency. However i'm wondering if a 3 way will be enough to keep up with the lows?

Current plans are to run 2k rms on 2 Fi Xv3 15s in a ported box, then a 3 way with about 200rms per side on mids and highs (either bought separately with around 40 to tweet, 60 to midrange, 100 to midbass or ill just not use crossovers with a bought 3 way) but i'm not sure if this will be enough to keep up, despite running active. I did wonder about adding in a set of RF punch pro 6.5's and a tweet in each door that ill be able to switch on with the dsp if i really wanted to bump and don't mind losing some sq or if i'm showing off etc. My questions are:

- Will I need to run extra m/h's with a 3 way (perhaps I should look for higher efficiency units?) 
- For the sake of Keeping the aesthetic, would a RF punch pro 6.5 work for a midbass in the 3 way? (I'm aware pa tend to take more work to sound good, especially in the midbass region but I can put slightly more power to them and only in that range, also they claim to get down to 80hz??)
- Alternatively, should I just get an additional 2 way component set to bridge the power gap ooooor just run less power to my subs?

You are making this way harder than it has to be.  For what you're looking for. A simple 2 way would be more than enough. But you would need some high efficiency midbass/midrange.  Look into the Steven's audio mb6 or mb8. Take a ton of power, great for sq as well and they're only about 90 bucks a peice 

3 hours ago, MattDutts said:

I wanted to go 3 way for better staging and imaging with the tweet and mid in the A pillars so don't fancy just the 2 way.. Also i'm from UK so I doubt ill have access to those. So do you suggest higher efficiency on midbass and midrange?

Stage and Image has nothing to do with the number of drivers you install. It’s the tuning of driver location in each independent application. 

What most people don’t realize. No matter how strenuous you tune, non tuned bass drivers make all the tuning work pointless. So when you talk about “efficiency” you loose driver control that accompanies stage and image. Finding a compromise can be had with an average listener depending on music. But when a Audiophile tries this, most times, the hard hitting hair flopping non driver controlled bass gives way to dynamic, time aligned, very snappy bass you can feel Only on the dead center of your staged and imaged dash ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived