Battery to alternator wiring

I have a 98 civic Hx,I want to add an xs680 series battery and upgrade my stock 75amp alternator to a 200-280amp mechman alternator. My battery from factory is not wired directly to the alternator instead it goes through the fuse box first and and ELD controls the voltage output from the alternator and through an 80amp fuse. My question is can i wire a 2nd battery in the trunk directly to the (+) terminal on the alternator without damaging the battery and keep the original lead to the fuse box as well just like stock. I don't want to bypass the ELD and pass more current through that fuse box to not burn anything up. My lights dim like crazy on 60hz notes even with a 6farad cap.

I currently run(2) PPI.p12D4 drivers hooked @1ohm on an American Bass ph.4000D.1,

and (2) kicker 6.5” k5 series (2)pioneer 6x9TS6900pro on a Nemesis audio 500x4D(60rmsX4@4ohm)

4 gauge power and ground wiring to chassis and body,an audiopipe 6 farad cap. I run a 200amp fuse from the battery(Duralast Gold) to The cap and then to a 4 way distribution block to amps. I honestly don’t know my total output but it makes my throat jiggle lol.

I came across another ph4000.1 for $130(i know these amp really do about 1800rms@1ohm  with sufficient power) and want to hook 1 to each(2) Soundstream T5 dual2ohm 12” tarantula series @1ohm each for my future setup and add another 4 channel for more components

• 1 month later...

Yes you can add a second battery to the trunk and wire it directly from the output of the alternator but I would also add a fuse in line for protection. Have you done the proper Big 3 upgrade and is there any reason you are using 4 gauge instead of 0?

I have a 94 camry with an HO alternator and 2 batteries. I still have the original wiring from the alternator to the front battery plus an upgraded 0 gauge wire from the alternator to the front battery directly off the terminal. Then I have 0 gauge going to the back battery.

Archived