Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

2 hours ago, bmwking said:

i'm no pro, and it's the only 3 way x over i've used, but i used these and wasn't upset at the sound.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YJ6KCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

x overs are: 20-800hz woofer, 700hz-4khz midrange, and 5khz-20khz tweeter.  with a 12db slope/octave

never had any issues with em

I used those same xovers powered by my jbl 1000.4 bridged to my front stage. They handled 300rms with no issues for a long time till I went active , now my buddy has had em for almost a year using them at 200watts on each so definantly durable.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Ok guys thanks for the help. I am at work now, and don’t have access to do much for a few hours. I’ll give a quick reply now and try to fill in later.

i have looked at those crossovers too. Thanks for suggesting them. I will definitely consider them too.

no worries about not remembering you had to mod your door. I already knew they wouldn’t fit, and had forgotten. Also if I had bothered to check I could have easily seen based off the specs listed and a speaker I had setting right in front of me that they wouldn’t fit. Besides that I like them and got such a good deal on them I will probably keep them even if I don’t know how to use them yet.

i don’t have the diameters for the speaker magnet. I can post that later. It can’t be any deeper then 2.25” with the same magnet diameter. If it is a larger magnet it can fit of it is shallower. I have also considered using my heat gun and slightly molding the shape of the back of the pod to better fit a larger magnet. I’ll get some more information in a few hours when I get home. Thanks again for the help!

Another question, do I even need to buy a 3 way passive crossover if I get something like the 50mm infinity speaker since it comes with it’s own crossover? Just checking. I can buy the infinity speaker that comes with crossovers for $119. Or I could buy those 3 way crossovers and something like that massive audio 2” for slightly less. I am a little more confident in liking the infinity better as I have used their stuff in the past. Never used massive audio. Thanks

Looks like both of these would fit. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R5030CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-5030cx.html?tp=97

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108P5010CM/Infinity-Primus-PR5010cs.html?tp=97

first one is about $80 more than the  second one. not sure if there is that much difference in sound. Also the 2 kenwoods do sound good. I would hope the infinity or CT sounds would sound even better. it would be sad if the $40 kenwoods could keep up with the others that cost 3-5 times as much... I am still not sure on hooking all of this up. I almost bought the 50mm infinity mids this morning, but decided hold off until I get it figured out how to wire all of this.

Ok I just got off the phone with Infinity. they confirmed the speaker specs are 2.5 ohm, but the amp will see a 4ohm load due to it running through the crossover. Looks like it is what I would need if I go that route. I am also strongly considering going with those Infinity Primus 5.25" up front. I can through those 2 kenwoods in the rear doors for fill. they sound good and would be fine there. Here is what I think I am going to do unless someone tells me it is not a good idea or they have a better idea.

Up front I am going to run the 2 way Infinity Primus 5.25" and tweeter. I am going to wire that Infinity kappa 20mx with it's crossover in parallel with the Primus crossover giving my amp a 2 ohm load. in the rear I will run the two Kenwoods I already have and disconnect my factory tweeter since the kenwood has one on it. The front channel of the amp will be driven harder then the rear helping to naturally bring the sound stage more to the front. I am also eyeing one of those Kenwood x301-4 amps. I kind of feel it is a waste to use my A606 for this, but I might keep it powering the Mids and highs.

Thoughts? Will this work? Does anyone heard those Primus speakers? Should I spend the extra $80 and get the other Infinity speakers I listed? Or do something different. I realize this pretty much takes the CT sounds speakers out of the picture. I just can't figure out a good way to use them. If they would just fit my door...

4 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

Ok I just got off the phone with Infinity. they confirmed the speaker specs are 2.5 ohm, but the amp will see a 4ohm load due to it running through the crossover. Looks like it is what I would need if I go that route. I am also strongly considering going with those Infinity Primus 5.25" up front. I can through those 2 kenwoods in the rear doors for fill. they sound good and would be fine there. Here is what I think I am going to do unless someone tells me it is not a good idea or they have a better idea.

Up front I am going to run the 2 way Infinity Primus 5.25" and tweeter. I am going to wire that Infinity kappa 20mx with it's crossover in parallel with the Primus crossover giving my amp a 2 ohm load. in the rear I will run the two Kenwoods I already have and disconnect my factory tweeter since the kenwood has one on it. The front channel of the amp will be driven harder then the rear helping to naturally bring the sound stage more to the front. I am also eyeing one of those Kenwood x301-4 amps. I kind of feel it is a waste to use my A606 for this, but I might keep it powering the Mids and highs.

Thoughts? Will this work? Does anyone heard those Primus speakers? Should I spend the extra $80 and get the other Infinity speakers I listed? Or do something different. I realize this pretty much takes the CT sounds speakers out of the picture. I just can't figure out a good way to use them. If they would just fit my door...

Had great luck with the Primus series, handle power good too. Honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and the reference series . Just weren't loud enuff for my taste even with highest rms power to em.

Primus components up front and coaxes in back on 75rms each.was mid install but was impatient to hear em

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Thanks M8! Only difference I could see what the reference have a higher sensitivity. doing an audio comparison between the 2 on crutchfield they sound pretty close. the reference have a brighter sound in the mid range, but if I run those domes I wouldn't need that anyway. You say you didn't think they were loud enough though?

3 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

Thanks M8! Only difference I could see what the reference have a higher sensitivity. doing an audio comparison between the 2 on crutchfield they sound pretty close. the reference have a brighter sound in the mid range, but if I run those domes I wouldn't need that anyway. You say you didn't think they were loud enough though?

Am running 4 sq hds3.108s on 3k tho lol...have pioneer pro 6.5 and pioneer pro 3.5 on 80 per speaker ( mid ND tweet each door so 160 per door)now and they almost keep up

Kind of what I am afraid of. I will be running around 2400-3000 rms to 2 American Bass xr12's Won't be going full tilt all the time, but I knew I was going to have to increase the mids.

The Reference are 5db more sensitive, but I haven't heard either. If you say there wasn't much if any noticable difference then I don't want to pay the extra $80 for the reference.

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=410&cc=01&compareItems=01|108P5010CM&compareItems=01|108R5030CM

Archived