Recommendation for SQ 8" midbass

GeorgeLukas

Yea, I like the 8s as they have the potential to handle alot of power and get loud when necessary. 

I messaged Eric today and he said he can sell the tweeters to me separately as they are advertised as a set with the component 6's.  

So, I can have the Stevens 8s in my sealed doors, the Stevens tweeters in the sail panel. I just need to find the right midranges to finish this off. There is a factory location in dash where 3.5"s are mounted. I will listen to your advice about going with minimum of 4s for midrange. I suppose I can just do a little custom glass work in the dash to mount something a bit bigger than 3.5s. 

Would it be important to make the custom mount on an axis that is aimed at my head for these 4s?

7 hours ago, White Lightning said:

If you’re dead set on an 8” midbass, I’d choose the largest midrange driver possible. Something no smaller than a 4” driver ... 

Do you have a suggestion for a solid midrange to go in the setup I've described? I was just looking at this 

Morel 4"

Would this be a good choice to round out this system? I really can't afford to get some $400 Focal speakers.

By the way, you guys are awesome. Thanks a mil for your input in this. This is my first build and getting insight from your experience is priceless.

dash.jpg

9 hours ago, BrokeAudioFiend said:

When I asked Eric Steven's about mating a midrange with his mb8s and tweeter,  he suggested a 3 inch faital pro driver.  I forget what model it was.  I would shoot him a PM.

Here's his quote when I messege'd him.

"The MB8 will play up the tweeter in a 2 way, Faital 3FE22-4 is the midrange"

From looking at the pic posted, you would be great going with a 2 way 6.5” setup ... that’s what I would do ... Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

31 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

From looking at the pic posted, you would be great going with a 2 way 6.5” setup ... that’s what I would do ... Just Saying 

I kind of prefer that also when going 2 way.  But of op does want an 8.  That is a great 8

31 minutes ago, ToNasty said:

I kind of prefer that also when going 2 way.  But of op does want an 8.  That is a great 8

I’m not questioning the performance of Image Dynamics or any other driver for that matter ... I’m more focused on Install. The 8” drivers will be very noticeable and most likely draw down the stage and image, especially going with a smaller midrange than I suggested.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived