Second Skin Audio

help with box build for this weekend

CorNut

I can't figure out the proper port & box dimensions, I'm wanting to build a box for a single Sundown SA-10 D2 v3.

The space available is 39" width, 14" height, 12" bottom depth, 8" top depth. If possible, I'd like to keep the angle at the back seat to preserve usable hatch space. I have all tools needed, including a router if recessing the sub is possible with my usable dimensions. Depth can add an inch or 2, width and height can only be less though, not more.

I read 1.0 cu ft and tuned to 32-33hz is good but I'm pretty lost. I'll be using 3/4" and the sub has .10 displacement, the sub's top mount depth is 6"

My woodworking skills are good but I've never had to calculate a slot port, the box will be rear facing, it'll be up against the backseat of a Cruze hatchback. The port will need to be on the baffle but I don't care about its position. If anybody can help it's greatly appreciated.

The amp I ordered is the Kicker CX800.1, it's not the most powerful but the car has a small alternator and it shuts off at stoplights. The 2019 Kicker CX models apparently don't cut out with the voltage drop experienced when the starter's reengaged.

2 hours ago, will77530 said:

Man it seems like you’ve done a ton of research already which is fantastic

maybe grab the Torres box calculator and play with it a bit post what you come up with and we can guide you on your journey

I've done a lot of research but WIN ISD confused the heck out of me, as in not usable. It looks like Torres is something I can learn, I'll keep reading/playing with it.

Is 8(w)x1.5(h) for a port decent or should I do 8x2? I can do wider too, that's just going with the12-16" port area per cu ft rule. If I can do it on the side I can do as much as 12.5" tall after top & bottom wood thickness, length hopefully won't matter if I can offset the sub enough that it doesn't interfere with the port.

I think the port would subtract about .2 cu ft volume to put me right at 1 cu ft. I can also place the sub near a wall with a vertical slot on the other side and run that along the baffle away from the sub, I'm not particular on orientation or worried about symmetry. I just hope the port can be ran in a way the sub's top mount depth isn't an issue and I can keep the box shallow.

How does this look, would 12.5"x1" be better?

tor.png

Archived