AMP Cable Gauge Question

What amp/ohm load are you running, how long of run is it, and what exact wire do you have (brand/type)? 

For example, knukonceptz has an OFC 8awg rated at 60A for a 20' run. Their CCA is only rated at 50A and there's lesser brands I wouldn't trust at even 50A. I stick to knukoncepts or sky high for my wire, there's a night and day difference between theirs and most other brands. For instance, Rockville has a 4awg OFC kit but it's significantly less copper than KnuKonceptz. knu can run 150A @20ft where Rockville is only 120A @20. Just because your amp has a 4awg input doesn't mean you "need" 4awg, giving us more details will help show if it's actually needed.

Skar Rp 800.1d with a skar ma8 sub

RMS Power @ 1 Ω 800W x 1 Ch (14.4v)
Peak Power @ 1 Ω 1,200W x 1 Ch (14.4v)
Power & Ground Input Size 4 Gauge

run should be about 15 feet

• True American Spec 4 Gauge Kit
  • Tested & Approved True 2000 Watt Handling Capability.Weather resistent ANL Fuse Holder, nickel plated
  • 18 Ft 4 Gauge ENVY Green Flo Flex Power Cable : Pre-Terminated For Easy Access
  • 3 Ft 4 Gauge Stealth Black Flo Flex Ground Cable, Pre-Terminate For Easy Access
  • 1 x Platinum Plated ANL Fuse Holder with 100A Fuse
Let me know if this is what you needed.

That wire kit you pasted is a 4 awg kit, I thought you were running an 8 awg? 

Is your sub the D2 or D4 version?

Doing a search, I think you may have the Surge F-8 kit but you accidentally pasted the F-4? If so your wire claims to handle 80A, that's what it's fused for. On paper, your wire will work, the amp claims 80A but I find the wire being capable (safely) of 80A hard to believe, it appears the power wire is CCA. If I'm right and that's what you have, it's pushing your wire to the max. I think upgrading to a 4 awg OFC power and ground, even a lesser brand (you don't have to spend knu or sky high $ for that amp) will be beneficial. You may not hear the difference but it'll be safer. I've seen worse, but I bet if you're pushing the wire to its max it's still running a bit warmer than a cheap OFC 4 awg copper would. Personally, I wouldn't trust an 80A fuse on CCA 8 awg, even if it's only a 15' run.

If you can't afford a 4awg OFC kit, I'd run with it for now but keep it at the back of your mind for a potential upgrade later. Chances are it'll be fine and I doubt you'll hear a difference, it'd be more for peace of mind.

I have a 8 awg from a previous sub and amp installed, when I installed the Skar I just used the 8 awg. The amp calls for 4 awg, so I figured I should probably replace the 8 with it. I'm not sure if I'm losing out on performance?

the sub is the D2.

I ordered the Knukoncepts kolossus 4 gauge ofc kit, Im has returning the other one. The other one seems pretty cheap.

the Knu is good, you may not hear an actual difference (I hope you do) but if not it's still safer. Your amp claims 80A, the previous poster saying the 4awg will still limit a 1000w amp's performance isn't true unless it's a crazy inefficient amp. You made the right decision on size for your setup, The Knu 4awg can handle up to 150A at 20' which your setup falls under on both length and amperage. Running a D2, you're pulling the maximum amps from your amp so it's good you're upgrading from the thin CCA.

Also, I wouldn't bother doing the big 3 in 1/0 if you're only running the 1 amp. If you're completely replacing the factory grounds and alternator run, then sure. Since you're only running an 80A load, save your $ by not going with 1/0. Leave the factory alternator run and grounds but add to them if you do a big 3. I especially don't recommend using CCA in the engine bay so I wouldn't use your old wire, definitely return that if it's an option. If you do it, an OFC 4awg is good, Knu is always a good option but I know it can be spendy. A lot of people here do complete replacements when they do a big 3, in your case I feel that's overboard. Depending on your factory wiring, it's possible you won't see any benefit using 1/0 vs 4awg. With my vehicles, it is something I do no matter what, even before adding amps. I'm definitely not saying to not do it, I'm just not sure what your budget is. Is your alternator very far from the battery? A 7-8' run of Knu 4awg can handle more amperage than your factory alternator can output, when combining that with the factory run left in place there's absolutely no benefit spending the money for 1/0 unless you're future proofing/planning to upgrade electrical components.

Archived