Sonic Electronix

Sealed 15’s or ported 12’s same brand and series sub?

going from sealed to ported will yield a lot more output, without a doubt.  however, instead of having a relatively flat response  like you do in a  sealed, you will now have a peak around the port tuned frequency and a noticeable bump around the cabin's resonant frequency.  people try to use the peakier response as a negative against ported boxes, without realizing that most musical bass notes in popular music land from 60-30hz.  if you tune your port to say, 36hz (and there are plenty who will say that's too high) you will get a very noticeable gain in output on nearly all music types at the same power.

it's literally night and day from sealed to ported when comparing output.

i say go 2 12s ported, same amp, have the box made correctly for your subs and car and go enjoy life.

2 hours ago, bmwking said:

going from sealed to ported will yield a lot more output, without a doubt.  however, instead of having a relatively flat response  like you do in a  sealed, you will now have a peak around the port tuned frequency and a noticeable bump around the cabin's resonant frequency.  people try to use the peakier response as a negative against ported boxes, without realizing that most musical bass notes in popular music land from 60-30hz.  if you tune your port to say, 36hz (and there are plenty who will say that's too high) you will get a very noticeable gain in output on nearly all music types at the same power.

it's literally night and day from sealed to ported when comparing output.

i say go 2 12s ported, same amp, have the box made correctly for your subs and car and go enjoy life.

I’m looking at the newest version of the sa12 the v2 so more power handling as well and ported I would hope to hear more output. The box I’m looking at the Down4Soundshop pre fab since it’s pretty much built for sundown subs turned at 32hz

42 minutes ago, Audiohz said:

I’m looking at the newest version of the sa12 the v2 so more power handling as well and ported I would hope to hear more output. The box I’m looking at the Down4Soundshop pre fab since it’s pretty much built for sundown subs turned at 32hz

as long as the box is within manufacturer spec with adequate port size (veryyyyyy important here) for the power, i say go for it.  3k on 2 sa 12s in a ported box will absolutely get you more output than 2 15s sealed.

Archived