Second Skin Audio

Single 18" box help? '06 Acura TL

13spooks

Well lets get right down to business. As per the title, I'm a friggin' maniac and wanna cram a single Fi BTL4-18 in the back of my Acura. I have done some looking around and havent really seen any projects or builds where someone has tried this. (If someone has please let me know) . I mainly wanted to know who has worked with the new BTL4-18 and how big was your enclosure? And/or who has experience building a box to fit in a acura TL trunk. 

I plan on a top firing design, with the port being a slot out of the rear or through the rectangular seat hatch. My best measurements give me 30x28×15 which is around 5 cubes. I know its definitely not optimal but I wanted a daily that can hit lower than my current dual 12 setup. Any suggestions or help would be awesome.

And if your gonna bash me for something at least be constructive about it. 

2 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

I have a SP4plus 18 in 7 cubes with about 90 sq in of port and honestly I think it's still a bit choked. 

Yikes. I mean doesnt the sp4plus have parameters suited for bigger boxes anyways? The website says 5-7 for BTL and 6-8 for SP4. Again I know my dimensions arent the best but I just hope it doesnt completely shit on itself. I really wanna get it tuned to 32hz. 

I get 5.9 cubes with those dimensions, that's with a single baffle which seems like a bad idea unless you do a fair bit of internal bracing.

Either way both of those will eat up internal volume. If you are going ported that's gonna eat up at least another cuft. 

So you are probably gonna have to go sealed or figure out how to do an external port 

7 hours ago, strangeduck said:

I get 5.9 cubes with those dimensions, that's with a single baffle which seems like a bad idea unless you do a fair bit of internal bracing.

Either way both of those will eat up internal volume. If you are going ported that's gonna eat up at least another cuft. 

So you are probably gonna have to go sealed or figure out how to do an external port 

Thats why I thought about going with the port through the seat hatch, but it's 6x9 which is 54sq in of port area. Im not sure how long I can make it though. I'll do so more measurements on that tomorrow. 

i think you are already sacrificing both. cut a hole in the rear deck and build a proper port. Well, dont do that. im not condoning that at all. I honestly dont know what  to tell you at this point. 

On 1/23/2020 at 1:01 PM, strangeduck said:

Or use passive radiators, like I'm fixing to with my single 18".... ;) Easy to fine tune after the fact as well.... Plus they look cool... like you have more drivers in the same box :) Im going to tell (less suspecting) folks that I'm running two 15"s and one 18" in the same box.... and listen to it :) lol

Archived