Sonic Electronix

Help me diagnose my friends audio problem

So my friend has an old kenwood excelon amp, the thing that I find weird is that it is always on, well the led indicator light is always on. The remote wire is hooked up to the same alpine amp and that turns off when the car is off. The kenwood does not. Another problem this kenwood has is something I cant figure out at all. Well I think it is the kenwood but I am not totally sure.

The speakers stop working, but the kenwood indicator light is on, and the subwoofer amp is on and is playing. The kenwood does not. So far I checked the rca, ground and I popped the speakers via speaker wire. I know the speakers work but there is no music coming on. The kenwood indicator light is still on but no music plays.

The odd thing is that if you turn the car off and on again the amp will kick back on playing again. but if you turn up the volume the music stutters but the sub amp (alpine) plays flawlessly

My friends kenwood is a Kenwood Excelon X600F

I really don't know what else to do

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

I don't think those had an auto turn-on switch, if it does flip it off. If you remove the remote wire and the LED is still on, the amp is probably bad.

If it plays music and stutters/cuts in & out at higher volume, make sure you don't have any grounding speaker wires or terminals, if not it could just be a bad amp.

Archived