Supercap balancing?

10 hours ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

It’s always easiest to just get an XS superbank that’s already ready to go (they look like a regular battery). They make them from 75 farad superbanks to 1500 farad superbanks. Get at least the 500 farad superbank. They make them in many different battery group sizes to fit you needs so you can run one under your hood instead of a regular battery. 

Yeah I looked at some of the vendor offerings. Size and weight are concerns, given what I'm currently planning/designing will be going into an OTR truck. I'd rather build my own bank(s) to utilize available space, and keep weight to a minimum.

10 hours ago, kalilac619 said:

As long as you’re not charging up near the limits of a bank(16+) balancing isn’t needed 

That is what I was hoping, right on. I'm sticking to stock charging voltage of 13.8 - 14.4ish. I can't risk going higher and a spike frying something on the truck side while I'm in the middle of nowhere. That's also why I want to try caps, to level out the charge/discharge spikes. 

10 hours ago, kalilac619 said:

I’ve  run only caps ( no batteries) for about 2 years now with out issue...14 banks of Maxwells(7000       farads 

spacer.png

Nice setup... A 156+ @ 26hz sounds mean! I'm really not looking to ever compete, just demo's for my fellow OTR drivers. Maybe beat up a few "choice" scale houses. Since my office, so to speak, is our craptastic highways, I need something to make it enjoyable again lol!

2 hours ago, SGT_76 said:

Yeah I looked at some of the vendor offerings. Size and weight are concerns, given what I'm currently planning/designing will be going into an OTR truck. I'd rather build my own bank(s) to utilize available space, and keep weight to a minimum.

Them xs superbanks have different size options from 75 farads to 1500 farads in one battery sized bank. 500 farads to 1500 farads are the most popular and marketed ones. The group 48 version is 

Length – 10.94 in
Height – 7.48 in
Width – 6.93 in

The xs superbanks range from 5 to 10 pounds. The group 48 is like 5 or 6 pounds. 
But do what you want. It seems to me like you don’t know capacitors that well and this would be your best option. No offense or disrespect intended. Even for someone who does know capacitors, this is a good option. But most people that know capacitors build Maxwell cap banks because it’s cheaper and they are good. But if you don’t know what you’re doing then I’d advise not building you own bank(s) of caps. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

7 hours ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Them xs superbanks have different size options from 75 farads to 1500 farads in one battery sized bank. 500 farads to 1500 farads are the most popular and marketed ones. The group 48 version is 

Length – 10.94 in
Height – 7.48 in
Width – 6.93 in

The xs superbanks range from 5 to 10 pounds. The group 48 is like 5 or 6 pounds. 
But do what you want. It seems to me like you don’t know capacitors that well and this would be your best option. No offense or disrespect intended. Even for someone who does know capacitors, this is a good option. But most people that know capacitors build Maxwell cap banks because it’s cheaper and they are good. But if you don’t know what you’re doing then I’d advise not building you own bank(s) of caps. 

Lol, non taken. I understand how a capacitor works, and the safety precautions necessary. Plus I'm not afraid to learn or ask questions when I don't. Yeah I've looked at all of their offerings, I just can't bring myself to pay there prices. Not bashing XS in anyway, I like their products. I'm just looking to maximize my dollar. Plus I want to do a lot of DIY on this. If the supercaps I found are a viable option for us (I started a topic about them here), I could build a 1500f, 16.8v bank for 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost. Just having a hard time finding any real specs for them. Plus I think going the DIY route will give me more packaging options, since I will also be adding lithium banks. I really want to go with LTO, but for now I'm stuck with Lifepo4 (38120hp's), since I have to keep my bunk Agm's for my 3kw inverter. If I can figure out how to run a second/third alternator then it'll be game on lol.

9 minutes ago, SGT_76 said:

Lol, non taken. I understand how a capacitor works, and the safety precautions necessary. Plus I'm not afraid to learn or ask questions when I don't. Yeah I've looked at all of their offerings, I just can't bring myself to pay there prices. Not bashing XS in anyway, I like their products. I'm just looking to maximize my dollar. Plus I want to do a lot of DIY on this. If the supercaps I found are a viable option for us (I started a topic about them here), I could build a 1500f, 16.8v bank for 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost. Just having a hard time finding any real specs for them. Plus I think going the DIY route will give me more packaging options, since I will also be adding lithium banks. I really want to go with LTO, but for now I'm stuck with Lifepo4 (38120hp's), since I have to keep my bunk Agm's for my 3kw inverter. If I can figure out how to run a second/third alternator then it'll be game on lol.

I understand. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. because I’m about to switch my secondary agm’s to straight caps.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

16 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Check out Maxwell. 

Yep I have looked at their different Bcap lines also. They're also a known quality product for sure. Their prices have jumped a lot over the years also though, gotta love the effect of demand lol. Hopefully I can find some more info on the ones below. They don't actually list the esr value, only "low esr". That's too big of a deal to just gamble on given it's "AliExpress".  Granted XS doesn't have their esr listed either, but they are also a know trusted US supplier.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000295134883.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=1582410664&albag=59754279756&trgt=743612850714&crea=en4000295134883&netw=u&device=t&albpg=743612850714&albpd=en4000295134883&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiKQyY5l8DD07vTGgagIdOeZ_Eh2YBzXPkJHDrXn6mu21cyB0fMjbBBoCxO0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Xs power doesn’t technically make capacitors... they’re rebadge ioxus capacitors 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

Archived