Amp power wire spark

So I was running all my wiring today and I was connecting my amp power wire and it slipped out of my hand and hit the negative post on the battery and sparked. The amps were grounded to the body. My amps power on and work fine. I have a 4 year warranty on them so I’m not worried about it. But to help my further my knowledge. There’s really nothing bad to happen because it can’t Complete a circuit that way anyways right? It would be zero voltage? But why the spark?

The only spark that won’t ever hurt an amp is the spark from a ground wire first making contact with the grounding terminal. Also, a spark from putting in a fuse to a power wire won’t hurt an amp. Any other sparks can potentially damage an amp. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

22 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

The only spark that won’t ever hurt an amp is the spark from a ground wire first making contact with the grounding terminal. Also, a spark from putting in a fuse to a power wire won’t hurt an amp. Any other sparks can potentially damage an amp. 

Hmmm. Interesting. So that positive lead hitting the ground negative could have either popped a fuse or amp fuse/damaged the amplifier. I guess I don’t understand how to be honest. I figured the only way would be that if the power wire was hooked on the positive terminal and then wires started touching or getting crossed. Because then a circuit would be established. 

15 minutes ago, MajikNinja said:

Hmmm. Interesting. So that positive lead hitting the ground negative could have either popped a fuse or amp fuse/damaged the amplifier. I guess I don’t understand how to be honest. I figured the only way would be that if the power wire was hooked on the positive terminal and then wires started touching or getting crossed. Because then a circuit would be established. 

When establishing a positive lead to your amplifier, make sure the wire isn’t hot (isn’t fused) before connection and fuse it after connection. And when you see a spark on the grounding terminal it’s just the capacitors in the amp charging up. After the initial spark, you will not see a spark anymore unless the wire touching it is hot. 

4 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You’re suppose to put in the fuse after the wires are connected to further protect your audio gear. 

Noted 100%. I have a lot of learning to do for sure. That’s why I’m here asking questions though. And I very thankful for the replies. Wouldn’t connecting the fuse after have the same affect as just connecting the wire?

30 minutes ago, Bluetegjoe said:

Most likely touching the negative just discharged the caps in the amp and it could be ok. More importantly, were you running your wires with a fuse in the holder?

If the spark was because of the caps discharging then it’s possible to see a spark come from the grounding terminal even if the power wire isn’t hot. And that isn’t true. The spark is from the caps charging because for that grounding terminal to spark the amp has to be presented to a current. 

Archived