Sundown Audio

Amp Recommendations for 4x SA6.5 D2

Bdsankey

I am overhauling the audio in my truck which is a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD crew cab. I am looking at running components up front, mids in the rear doors, and 4x 6.5" Sundown SA behind the rear seat. I am stuck on amp choices. I am targeting 100-150rms each channel for the door speakers (currently have Audison APK 165 for the front doors, undecided on the rear doors). The Sundown SA6.5 is rated for 200w RMS/400 peak. For the doors I am looking at a Skar RP-75.4AB, Skar RP-150.4AB, or a Taramps DS800X4. For the subs I am looking at a Skar RP-1200.1D, Skar RP-1500.1D, Skar RP-2000.1D, and a Taramps DSP 1600 1 ohm. 

The front runners to me are the Skar RP-150.4AB for the doors and the Skar RP-1500.1D for the subs. 

I'm open to any suggestions but would like to stay budget friendly while still getting decent amps that will last me awhile. 

Taramps md1800.1 or Skar rp2000.1 for budget amps for them subwoofers. Taramps are rated at 12.6v instead of 14.4v. So each of them amps put out about the same exact rms. And once you decide on the right mids and high then you can come to the conclusion of what amp to put on them. Did you ever decide on what mids and highs you want to use?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

6 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Taramps md1800.1 or Skar rp2000.1 for budget amps for them subwoofers. Taramps are rated at 12.6v instead of 14.4v. So each of them amps put out about the same exact rms. And once you decide on the right mids and high then you can come to the conclusion of what amp to put on them. Did you ever decide on what mids and highs you want to use?

I have not. In my other thread I stated that I got some free Audison APK 165 components free from a friend that are a few years old. If I understand correctly they are 100rms per side not for the pair. I am undecided on the rear doors which I'm hoping the other thread can shed some light on. I made the multiple threads in the hopes of not confusing anyone/keeping threads on topic. 

When it comes to budget, I just was reminded yesterday on here about an amp. The us acoustics Barbra Ann. It does 100 rms x 4 at 4 ohms. And don’t put ANY speakers in the rear fill. Focus on the front stage when it comes to mids and highs. You have a kick ass pair of components that sound great. Don’t mess up that awesome sound quality potential you have right in front of you. Just worry about subwoofers when it comes to the rear. It will have better sound quality that way. 100 rms on each side up front is enough mids and highs for 2000 rms on 4 6.5” subwoofers. 

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/us-acoustics-barbara-ann-400w-4-channel-amplifier/

I’m deleting my rear fill. Just waiting to get my front door panels customized so I can put 4 6.5” midranges and 2 3.5” super tweeters in each panel. Trust me dude, it’s the way to go. My homeboys vehicles have deleted rear fill and they sound better that way. 

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

When it comes to budget, I just was reminded yesterday on here about an amp. The us acoustics Barbra Ann. It does 100 rms x 4 at 4 ohms. And don’t put ANY speakers in the rear fill. Focus on the front stage when it comes to mids and highs. You have a kick ass pair of components that sound great. Don’t mess up that awesome sound quality potential you have right in front of you. Just worry about subwoofers when it comes to the rear. It will have better sound quality that way. 100 rms on each side up front is enough mids and highs for 2000 rms on 4 6.5” subwoofers. 

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/us-acoustics-barbara-ann-400w-4-channel-amplifier/

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’m deleting my rear fill. Just waiting to get my front door panels customized so I can put 4 6.5” midranges and 2 3.5” super tweeters in each panel. Trust me dude, it’s the way to go. My homeboys vehicles have deleted rear fill and they sound better that way. 

Glad to hear that the Audison APK 165 are kickass. Can’t believe they’re free but he doesn’t feel like selling them so I won’t turn that down. I know I love the way the sound! Is the Barbara Ann better than say a RP-75.4AB or RP-150.4AB in terms of sound quality?

Now to just find someone to let me borrow a DD1/CC1 or I may just buy my own. The deck is a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS

14 minutes ago, Bdsankey said:

Glad to hear that the Audison APK 165 are kickass. Can’t believe they’re free but he doesn’t feel like selling them so I won’t turn that down. I know I love the way the sound! Is the Barbara Ann better than say a RP-75.4AB or RP-150.4AB in terms of sound quality?

Now to just find someone to let me borrow a DD1/CC1 or I may just buy my own. The deck is a Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS

Yes

9 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Yes

While I don’t want to muddy the soundstage, would leaving the rear speakers hooked up to the deck be a decent option to give the rear passengers something to listen to on longer trips where I can turn the subs way down to give them some direct sound? This would allow me to fade all the way forward for my normal driving then fade the rears in for road trips.  

On 5/29/2020 at 10:41 PM, Bdsankey said:

Yes, the Barbra Ann is better in sound quality. 

Archived