Your opinions on voltage regulators

In my searches, I found that replacing the voltage regulator in my alternator (or bypassing it, with an adjustable regulator) might not be that hard, nor that expensive. Granted, my voltage stays up pretty good now... but sometimes on a hot day, it gets as low as 13.8. The regulator in the alternator is set at a max of 14.5. I think it would be kind of cool to have it stay at a rock solid 15 volts all the time (or, even if I wimped out, because I was scared of damage to my electrical system, 14.5). Not sure how much difference it would make with the stereo system, but even if it were just a little, again, this sounds pretty cheap and easy. Your opinions are welcome on that too.

Have any of you done this ? Would you do it again ? 

PS, Yes, I did ask about this 5 weeks ago, but only got one response from a guy who thought I would only be 100% safe to stick to 14.5 volts. I only say this, because their is at least one forum member who will get really angry if you inquire about something more than once ;)  lol Maybe had that thread gotten more responses, I wouldn't feel the need to ask again. Id figure with all the voltage drop questions around here, this would be a pretty well discussed topic ? 

It really depends on things and how much you can find out. If it was on an old mechanical diesel engine/ manual transmission with no air bag or abs I would comfortably say go for it. On a modern car with multiple control systems engine ECM, abs, SRS, electronic controlled transmission,  auto leveling,  accident avoidance system, ETC. I would say, "is the juice worth the squeeze" What would one of those components cost to replace if not all of them. The Correct Alternator looks cheap to me.

12 hours ago, 12V71 said:

It really depends on things and how much you can find out. If it was on an old mechanical diesel engine/ manual transmission with no air bag or abs I would comfortably say go for it. On a modern car with multiple control systems engine ECM, abs, SRS, electronic controlled transmission,  auto leveling,  accident avoidance system, ETC. I would say, "is the juice worth the squeeze" What would one of those components cost to replace if not all of them. The Correct Alternator looks cheap to me.

Well my truck is an 08' so it doesn't have too much fancy stuff. 

But here's the thing, those adjustable regulators could cost as little as $30...

So even if it were just set to keep a rock solid 14.5....

Instead of fluctuating from 14.5 to 13.8 like mine does, maybe that would still be worth it ? Hmmm. I dunno...

Archived