Sundown Audio

Help setting gain with multimeter

i3laine

So I have a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub, running the coils in parallel to get a 1 ohm load. I'm bridging 2 amps together in a master/slave set up to power the sub, looking to get an output of 3200 watts rms. I'm trying to set my gain with a multimeter. I know that to find the target voltage you take the square root of (desired wattage x speaker resistance). What I'm running into trouble with, is that I've been told that when you bridge 2 amps, they "see" half the ohm load that the actual speaker is. So in this equation, would it be right to say that I'm looking for the square root of (3200x0.5)= 40 volts? This is the first time I've bridged 2 amps, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

When setting the gain, turn the volume to the highest you listen to or show off at, or turn the volume all the way up, full tilt. Make sure bass boost on the amp and head unit are off, loudness off, turn all that extra mess off and make sure the EQs on the head unit are flat, at zero. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I appreciate your responses, but I'm not trying to turn the amps up all the way.  Together, they should be able to put out 4500 watts. What I'm really trying to get at is this: if I turn the head unit to max volume, play a 40hz test tone through it, and then measure the voltage coming out of the amps, should I be looking for a target voltage based off the actual impedance of the sub, 1 ohm, which would be 56 volts, or the what the amps "see," 0.5 ohms, which would be 40 volts? If I can't find an answer, I'll use the video and just send it; so thank you for sharing that.

6 hours ago, i3laine said:

I appreciate your responses, but I'm not trying to turn the amps up all the way.  Together, they should be able to put out 4500 watts. What I'm really trying to get at is this: if I turn the head unit to max volume, play a 40hz test tone through it, and then measure the voltage coming out of the amps, should I be looking for a target voltage based off the actual impedance of the sub, 1 ohm, which would be 56 volts, or the what the amps "see," 0.5 ohms, which would be 40 volts? If I can't find an answer, I'll use the video and just send it; so thank you for sharing that.

there are very few head units that can go max volume without clipping.  if you go full send regardless of how you tune your amps you will clip your subs to death.  repeatedly.  either take the answer to your question or go about doing it the way you were already planning on but didnt get the reply to validate.    but dont come back and say you weren't helped/warned

wait, that might be too harsh.  basically first you need to find the clipping point of your headunit output, from there you need to find the clipping point of your amps at max clean volume.  if you have no way of doing this, ie no oscope or dd1, then you will need to use the video above.  without those 3 options, you will never accurately know if youre clipping or not

1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

This is the procedure that I'm doing, but it talks about using the impedence of the sub to find the target voltage. I'm asking, should I use the actual impedence of 1 ohm, or half of that, 0.5 ohms because the 2 amps strapped will see half of the actual voltage?

19 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

When you strap 2 1ohm amps together it doesn’t create a half ohm load, it creates a 2 ohm load. 

But the speakers create the load, not the amps. This is the barevids video that has me confused.

It's looking like I'm going to start at 56 volts, use a small speaker and see if it clips. If it does, then I'll know that it should be 40 volts. If it doesn't clip I'll run it and monitor the sub and amp temps to see if I'm comfortable with how they're running and if they get to hot, I'll just turn them down till I find the sweet spot between output and temperature

Archived